Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533?

/ Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533? #1  

JCS_in_KY

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
Do I need to buy the Massey Ferguson labeled Permatran III for my 1533 12x12 trans or can I use another brand of fluid in it? John

/ Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533? #2  
<font color="blue"> Do I need to buy the Massey Ferguson labeled Permatran III for my 1533 12x12 trans or can I use another brand of fluid in it? </font>
You don't have to, but I sure would. It is one of the best fluids on the market. I have never heard of anyone ever having any problems with it. After spending that much money on a tractor, don't take a chance putting substandard fluids in it.

/ Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533?
Thanks, I didn't know if it was any better than the fluid NAPA or TSC sells but it sounds like it probably is. Prices around here for Permatran seem to be about $45 for 5 gallons. Does that sound like a fair price or should I shop around some? John

/ Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533? #4  
I don't remember what I paid the last time, but I really think that it was more than that.

/ Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533? #5  
JCS, I bought a JUG of permatran last year ,I want to say it was a 2 1/2 gallon jug... and I remember it being $18 which is pretty pricey @ $7.20 a gallon, But synthetic is pretty high also , although not quite that high...

That specific fluid is not changed very often so I don't think I would risk any warranty issues saving a buck or two... (penny wise pound foolish comes to mind) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533? #6  
I bought a 5 gal. for $47.52 from our dealer last month.

/ Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533?
I called around today and found a Agco dealer selling 5 gallon buckets for $42.67 so that sounds like a pretty good price.
John

/ Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533? #8  
Jerry; Is the Permatran III a synthetic fluid? If you remember my posts about my 1020 noisy hydro, I think I found the problem. There was too much vaccum on the return line. It was caused by the suction filter. I took it off and cut it apart, gutted it out and welded it back together. Now it's just an empty can and my return line vaccum dropped from 18" down to 1". Hydro now makes less noise. I had been advised in earlier posts to switch to synthetic fluid for hydro units. Now I'm ready to change it and would like your thoughts.
Hope it's ok to ask here instead of starting new post. Thanks, Rick
Anyone else with ideas are welcome also!!!

/ Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533? #9  
Anyone knows of a synthetic replacement let us know. I am sure Amsoil makes one.

/ Transmission / Hydraulic Fluid for a 1533? #10  
Regal said:
Jerry; Is the Permatran III a synthetic fluid? If you remember my posts about my 1020 noisy hydro, I think I found the problem. There was too much vaccum on the return line. It was caused by the suction filter. I took it off and cut it apart, gutted it out and welded it back together. Now it's just an empty can and my return line vaccum dropped from 18" down to 1". Hydro now makes less noise. I had been advised in earlier posts to switch to synthetic fluid for hydro units. Now I'm ready to change it and would like your thoughts.
Hope it's ok to ask here instead of starting new post. Thanks, Rick
Anyone else with ideas are welcome also!!!
I honestly don't know if it is a synthetic or not. I know that I have seen several tractors that were having problems with off brands and other brands of fluid that would smooth out when Permatran was reintroduced back to the system. There should be some suction on the pickup side of system but I can't remember what the number is at this time. I know that I wouldn't run it for long without a complete filter. If a component decided to come apart, it would damage the entire system without a filter to capture the fragments. I know that your tractor is a past production model, but check with your dealer to see if there was any TSB about the problem that you are having.