MF1540 for small horse farm?

/ MF1540 for small horse farm? #1  

stump54

Silver Member
Tractor
MF-2607H, MF-1540, MF-GC1710, Ferguson TO20
Need advice. I have been looking for a new tractor to replace my old Ferguson TO-30. Initially, I wasn't locked into one make by after two months of looking, and driving, I'm in love with a MF1540 w/SynchroShuttle, and a MF1525 loader.
What I need it for is to work a 16 acre horse farm in SE North Carolina. We have a 6 acre pasture on which we grow hay (for someone else to bale). I need a tractor that is small enough to work around the house and barn moving gravel/dirt, and leveling paddocks, but big enough to mow my pasture, bush hog other unruly areas, and move and stack 5x5' round bales. I can get the tractor and loader for $19,200 which is my max. Thanks for any help, Gary

/ MF1540 for small horse farm? #2  
Stump,
First off let me say welcome to TBN.
Now down to business. I have had the model that came out before the 1540 which is a 1440 for about 2 years. I farm with mine and have been very happy. I move quite a few round bales every year with mine, but have never used it for 5x5s. I have moved lots of 4x4s and 4x5s. Wet 4x5s on my tractor are on the heavy side, but the 1525 loader has more lifting ability than my loader does. Lifting heavy bales like that are far easier if a person has a spear that mounts on the loader without the bucket. Good spears like that can be had for $450-500. Changing from the bucket to the spears is real quick job if you get the quick tach for the loader. It will take a 3-4 tops to change attachment. As far as mowing goes, you would be able to use a 6' brush mower in just about any kind of situation. I love the turbo on this tractor. It does a fantastic job of powering through when you hit a heavy spot. Before I bought my 1440, I had a MF 1250, 33 hp. That tractor had the SynchroShuttle and it worked very smooth and I never had a problem with it in the 1200 some odd hours and over 4 years that I had it. Every time Massey comes out with a newer model, it is more refined and more efficient. I really think that you would be happy with a new 1540.

/ MF1540 for small horse farm?
Jerry,
Thanks! Actually, 5x5' was a misprint; I intended 4x5. The 1540 seems to be such a perfect fit that I'm amazed it didn't come to my attention earlier (drove the first one yesterday). I've been to two MF dealers, in addition to the numerous dealers of other brands, and they never suggested it. I was actually at the MF dealer to buy the Kubota I thought would work but as I sat in the seat waiting for the salesman I realized I didn't really like the way it fit (or the color orange). My only concern about the 1540 was the bale lifting, which is my primary reason for replacing my old Fergey. Thanks for the help. Gary

/ MF1540 for small horse farm?
Jerry,
Which bucket mounted hay spear do you use? The one available from my dealer is from Kubota @ $500.

Gary

/ MF1540 for small horse farm? #5  
I'm not using a spear right now. I have been using forks for a while. I have everything to build a new front spear if I ever get around to it.