Woods BB720 Med Duty Rotary too much for 1540?

/ Woods BB720 Med Duty Rotary too much for 1540? #1  

ratter

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1540
I'm due to purchase a 1540 within the next few weeks and I'm deciding on implements.

Most of my rotary cutting will be high graass in fields, some on flat ground, some on fairly steep hills (although mostly still side-to-side.)

However, I have lots of area that I would like to clear of some heavier brush. A creek with LOTS of 1-2" saplings lining it, for example. Or some other areas that are heavily overgrown, to the extent that you can't see through the brush.

Is the BB720 too much mower for the 1540? It weighs ~1200lb, and the 1540 3PH is rated for 2,800. But I'm more concerned about HP (the BB720 is rated for 35-120 Tractor HP), and the ability to still use it for mowing those steeper grasses areas quickly and efficiently.

I've considered a BB600 too, but I'm on 52 acres and am worried that going down in width would make these larger fields take quite a bit longer to mow.

Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Woods BB720 Med Duty Rotary too much for 1540?
I'm due to purchase a 1540 within the next few weeks and I'm deciding on implements.

Most of my rotary cutting will be high graass in fields, some on flat ground, some on fairly steep hills (although mostly still side-to-side.)

However, I have lots of area that I would like to clear of some heavier brush. A creek with LOTS of 1-2" saplings lining it, for example. Or some other areas that are heavily overgrown, to the extent that you can't see through the brush.

Is the BB720 too much mower for the 1540? It weighs ~1200lb, and the 1540 3PH is rated for 2,800. But I'm more concerned about HP (the BB720 is rated for 35-120 Tractor HP), and the ability to still use it for mowing those steeper grasses areas quickly and efficiently.

I've considered a BB600 too, but I'm on 52 acres and am worried that going down in width would make these larger fields take quite a bit longer to mow.

Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Woods BB720 Med Duty Rotary too much for 1540? #3  
72" is cutting it pretty close. You mentioned steep hills, which will take additional power and require that you use a lower gear. Suggest you stick with the 60". You will be able to travel a little faster with the 60" to make up for some o f the lost width.

/ Woods BB720 Med Duty Rotary too much for 1540? #4  
72" is cutting it pretty close. You mentioned steep hills, which will take additional power and require that you use a lower gear. Suggest you stick with the 60". You will be able to travel a little faster with the 60" to make up for some o f the lost width.

/ Woods BB720 Med Duty Rotary too much for 1540? #5  
I have a 60" with my 1440 and the same engine as yours. If I were buying a new cutter it would be a 72". You have enough power. That much weight would be a little more than I would want. A 72" cutter in the 800-1000 pound range would be perfect.

/ Woods BB720 Med Duty Rotary too much for 1540? #6  
I have a 60" with my 1440 and the same engine as yours. If I were buying a new cutter it would be a 72". You have enough power. That much weight would be a little more than I would want. A 72" cutter in the 800-1000 pound range would be perfect.

Both dealers I've spoken to thus far have quoted me on the BB72 which is the light-duty 72". I think it weighs more like 800lb. Neither seemed to think that it would have any issues on the hills. But yeah, the heavier duty BB720 is significantly weightier, so that's my concern. I'll see what the dealers say, too. Thanks for the input!

Both dealers I've spoken to thus far have quoted me on the BB72 which is the light-duty 72". I think it weighs more like 800lb. Neither seemed to think that it would have any issues on the hills. But yeah, the heavier duty BB720 is significantly weightier, so that's my concern. I'll see what the dealers say, too. Thanks for the input!

/ Woods BB720 Med Duty Rotary too much for 1540? #9  
You shouldn't have any problem at all with a 72" 800 pound mower. Go ahead and get it.

/ Woods BB720 Med Duty Rotary too much for 1540? #10  
You shouldn't have any problem at all with a 72" 800 pound mower. Go ahead and get it.