to worry or not to worry

/ to worry or not to worry #1  

tractorshawn

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
Hey people, Great site here. Lots of good info for all. I am new to this site.Also am new to tractor ownership.This is my formal introduction,I will keep my posts smaller in the future.I purchased a 1010 massey ferguson 4wd.Small compact tractor. I have had it for about 2 months of course it is a 1985 unit so it has been used,It has 1800 hours on it, I have put about 50 or so on it myself. I have had some issues with the unit but not to serious.

Some of the things that I do have concerns about are the blow by from the vent tube.Somedays its more than others. It does not have any loss of power it revs up good, idles good. I changed the oil,also put a 1/4 bottle of lucus in it.Dont know if thats a good idea,but what the hay. So any thoughts on that? The second thing that I notice is the hyd pump is noisey toped up flued did the checks.Still noisey and seems to not have a lot of lifting power. It lifts, i am unsure of howmuch power it should have, as i am new to tractors. I tryed lifting my utility trailer toung to move it, the blade was on, I backed blade under toung and lifted. The blade hit the toung and stoped. There was maybe about 200lbs of weight on the trailer.Toung weight would have been much less that that.What ya got to say bout that? Or do I just expect to much for a little tractor?

/ to worry or not to worry #2  
tractorshawn said:
Some of the things that I do have concerns about are the blow by from the vent tube.Somedays its more than others. It does not have any loss of power it revs up good, idles good. I changed the oil,also put a 1/4 bottle of lucus in it.Dont know if thats a good idea,but what the hay. So any thoughts on that? The second thing that I notice is the hyd pump is noisey toped up flued did the checks.Still noisey and seems to not have a lot of lifting power. It lifts, i am unsure of howmuch power it should have, as i am new to tractors. I tryed lifting my utility trailer toung to move it, the blade was on, I backed blade under toung and lifted. The blade hit the toung and stoped. There was maybe about 200lbs of weight on the trailer.Toung weight would have been much less that that.What ya got to say bout that? Or do I just expect to much for a little tractor?
I have never worked on a 1000 series compact and these are just guesses or things that I would try. Blowby can be caused by a plugged air filter, plugged vents, bad rings, bad valve seals as well as other things. I would say that given the hours Vs the age in years, the valve seals are bad. Many diesel fuel pumps have oil in them. I would look for a plug on the top and then another plug on the side. Usually the oil is filled until it runs out of the side plug. If it is low on oil, that may be why it is making noise. As far as being able to lift the trailer. If it only has 200 pounds of tongue weight, it should lift it. It may not lift it far because if it has two axles, you will add more weight as you take weight off of the front axle. Have you changed the hydraulic fluid, changed the filter and cleaned the strainer. I assume that it has a strainer type filter, but I am not sure. Like I said I have never worked on a 1000 series.