Mowing MF 1533 w/6' finish mower

/ MF 1533 w/6' finish mower #1  

CDsdad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
Only 4 hrs on new tractor and already need more attachments.

I purchased a 5' bushhog w/tractor, and was told it would handle a 6' FM. Is a 6' too big? And would it handle a 6' bushhog? I know the rule of thumb of 5 hp per foot of bushhog and I have 26 pto hp. Tractor seems it would pull it and lift it, reckon it'd turn it? 5 footer I bought is about 3 inches to narrow to cover tractor tires. What ya'll think? And does anybody market a FM that costs less than +/- $1500? Dealers are proud of everything they got.

/ MF 1533 w/6' finish mower #2  
CDsdad said:
Only 4 hrs on new tractor and already need more attachments.
It never ends. You always need or at least want one more implement or attachment.:D

CDsdad said:
I purchased a 5' bushhog w/tractor, and was told it would handle a 6' FM. Is a 6' too big? And would it handle a 6' bushhog? I know the rule of thumb of 5 hp per foot of bushhog and I have 26 pto hp. Tractor seems it would pull it and lift it, reckon it'd turn it? 5 footer I bought is about 3 inches to narrow to cover tractor tires. What ya'll think? And does anybody market a FM that costs less than +/- $1500? Dealers are proud of everything they got.
It will run a 6' finish mower just fine. As a rule, you can always use a larger RFM than a rotary brush mower.

/ MF 1533 w/6' finish mower #3  
My dealer told me the 1533 would run a standard duty 6' bush hog OK, but that it might be a bit iffy in my particular case (my property is very hilly) so I opted for the 1540 and a 6'. It's not here yet though so I can only go by my dealer's recommendations so far...

It probably depends a lot not only on your property type but also the types of stuff you'll be cutting. Mine is mostly maintenance of large areas of heavy grass and weeds, with smaller areas of heavy brush to clear. If it was all heavy brush, I probably would've gone 5', medium duty.

/ MF 1533 w/6' finish mower #4  
ratter said:
My dealer told me the 1533 would run a standard duty 6' bush hog OK, but that it might be a bit iffy in my particular case (my property is very hilly) so I opted for the 1540 and a 6'. It's not here yet though so I can only go by my dealer's recommendations so far...

It probably depends a lot not only on your property type but also the types of stuff you'll be cutting. Mine is mostly maintenance of large areas of heavy grass and weeds, with smaller areas of heavy brush to clear. If it was all heavy brush, I probably would've gone 5', medium duty.
You are right about the 6' being iffy with a 1533. It would be fine for light grass cutting, but not heavy thick tall grass or heavy brush. With a 5' you would be able to cut just about everything at an appropriate speed.

/ MF 1533 w/6' finish mower
If I wasn't planting pines on 20 acres this fall, I probably would've gotten the 1540. I guess I'll stick with the 5' bh. Now I gotta get the FM, disc, planter, spreader,...I'll think of more.

/ MF 1533 w/6' finish mower #6  
Yep, there's always more! My 1540 is due to be delivered tomorrow. FEL, box blade, and bush hog. I'm sure it won't be long 'til I'm trying to figure out how to afford that RFM, sprayer, backhoe, etc!!

Oh, and of course a place to put it all...

And a trailer to tow it with....

Yikes. I don't think it will ever end. Don't tell my wife!

/ MF 1533 w/6' finish mower #7  
CDsdad... Sorry for seeing this so late. I have a 6' hog on my tractor and not once have I had a problem. It cuts my bushing stuff easier then my finished grass (thicker), but Florida isn't like other places when it come to bush hogging uncut feilds.

I thought of getting the 5' RC, but like what has been said here before, "you can make a 6' mower smaller by taking a smaller cut, but you can never make 5' mower bigger". In any case, you will do just fine with 5'.

You can see pics of my setup and land in my link below.

EDIT... I should add one thing, IF you have a Hydro, don't even think about the 6', less HP at the PTO then geared.

/ MF 1533 w/6' finish mower
Thanks Mr Steve. I did the right thing w/a 5' cutter. Spacing on my pines is probably going to be 6-6 1/2'. I'm only going to have 3-6" clearance on either side w/ the tractor itself, 8" at most. I think my tractor tire width is like 64" side to side. I know my 5' mower leaves about 1-2" on the side when I cut, and that was the only reason I considered/regretted on a 6' cutter. My field is wide open now, but it'll be full of pines by February, so it's a moot point. I'm very happy with the tractor, it fits well in what timber I do have, will be great for mowing yard and putting in garden, moving dirt for my wife, and clearing downed pines left from Katrina. I like it. Now if I could get off this oil rig and go home and get on it, that would be better.