Thinking about buying a Massey tractor

/ Thinking about buying a Massey tractor #1  

Bill A

I have about 100 acres that I like to mow once a year. I have little experience with tractors and since acquiring this land borrowed a tractor and brush hog from a friend.... a MF-135 and 6' brush hog. Eventually, I will have to give my friend back his tractor so I am trying to educate myself on which tractor I should buy.

Another friend suggests a 245. Exactly what would I get in a 245 that would be better than the 135? There doesn't seem to be much HP difference but the 245 does appear beefier. Any suggestions for me under $10k?

/ Thinking about buying a Massey tractor #2  
I would recommend stepping up to a 255. Its around 50-60 hp and a nice one can be had for under $10,000. Its a little larger and more powerful than the 245 and the 255 would handle a lot more than a 6' bushog. I would easily handle a 10' so you could get done mowing quicker. I'm sure it takes you quite a while to mow 100 acres with a 6'.

/ Thinking about buying a Massey tractor #3  
Bill A said:
I have about 100 acres that I like to mow once a year. I have little experience with tractors and since acquiring this land borrowed a tractor and brush hog from a friend.... a MF-135 and 6' brush hog. Eventually, I will have to give my friend back his tractor so I am trying to educate myself on which tractor I should buy.

Another friend suggests a 245. Exactly what would I get in a 245 that would be better than the 135? There doesn't seem to be much HP difference but the 245 does appear beefier. Any suggestions for me under $10k?

Besides being NEWER, (than a 135) the 245 is more like a 150 than a 135. That gives you more built-in weight (on the front end). It is slightly longer wheelbase. That in itself will make handling a heavy load on the 3-point hitch. Also, you get a bigger fuel capacity. The biggest difference is heavier/better front axle and steering components.

Not a LOT of difference (over 135 or 235) just a few subtle improvements on an already great tractor.

/ Thinking about buying a Massey tractor
Thanks for the replies. Yep, it takes a while to mow 100+ acres with a 6' brushhog. I do enjoy it, though. I am really having fun messing with the old tractor. From looking up the specs on the Internet it appears that the 245 replaced the 135 and after the 245 came the 240. There is a used tractor dealer in my area that has a 240 and a 253. How do these tractors differ from the 245?

/ Thinking about buying a Massey tractor #5  
That 253 if it has the turbo and shuttle is probably the best tractor Massey ever made. After that I would go with a 245. Stay away from the 235's (poor steering design and too costly to fix once broke). The 135's are getting a little long in the tooth. 253 or 245 would be my suggestion.

/ Thinking about buying a Massey tractor
I went tractor shopping and found a 240, 245 and a 253 that look good to me.

240 $7850 1986 repainted clean looking tractor

245 $7500 repainted clean looking tractor

253 $9500 1994 original paint. I don't know if it has turbo but it does have the shuttle feature. It also has a topper and rear hydraulics. It shows 7500 hours.

Will the 253 be noticably stronger than the other two tractors? Can the rear hydraulics be used to operate a front loader? What all should I look for on these tractors. All guidance is appreciated....thanks

/ Thinking about buying a Massey tractor #7  
Bill A said:
253 $9500 1994 original paint. I don't know if it has turbo but it does have the shuttle feature. It also has a topper and rear hydraulics. It shows 7500 hours.

Will the 253 be noticably stronger than the other two tractors? Can the rear hydraulics be used to operate a front loader? What all should I look for on these tractors. All guidance is appreciated....thanks
In that size range and age, the 243, 253 and 263 are my favorite tractors. I would really like to have a 263 turbo. If the loader is sized right for the tractor, it will be fast enough. If I remember right some of this series had a combining valve which increased the hydraulic flow. You might ask the seller about that, but they may or may not know what you are talking about. It constantly amazes me how little some dealers don't know about what they sell and it is all color of dealers with that problem.
One of the reasons that I like that model is that they are really low to the ground even more so with the right tires. They are real stable on steep ground.