MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil

/ MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil #1  

Gilford

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533, syncro shuttle
I am preparing for my 50 hour service, and my MF dealer sold me MF hydraulic oil that is simply labled Permatron. My manual says to use Permatron III. When I questioned him, he said it was the same stuff. I normally wouldn't doubt a dealer, but I haven't been completly impressed with their knowledge in past situations. Has anybody else used MF brand Permatron in their 1533, or did you find MF brand Permatron III?

Thank you,

Gilford

/ MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil #2  
They are changing the names of everything to do with parts to the AGCO crap. The containers for Permatran III will all say AGCO Permatran 821XL. Before long, I bet that it will only say AGCO 821XL.

/ MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil
Thanks, I did find AGCO Permatron 821XL on the list of equivalents on the back of the jug. It sounds like I have the right stuff.

/ MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil #4  
I don't know if your interested, but I priced the Napa oil at about 1/2 the price of Permatran. I know this varies by region. I checked it out and it meets specs of AGCO Permatran XL 821. No more Permatran III at local dealer, everything's AGCO.

/ MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil #5  
CDsdad said:
No more Permatran III at local dealer, everything's AGCO.
It's still Permatran III even though it says AGCO Permatran 821XL. Your bio doesn't tell what transmission your 1533 has. But, if it has wet clutches or a hydro I wouldn't put anything in it other than Permatran. If it is has a dry clutch manual transmission then the Napa oil might be alright.

/ MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil #6  
Sorry if I wasn't clear JerryG. I should have said Permatran III is now re-labeled AGCO Permatran 821XL. You are right in it's the same stuff. I didn't know that about NAPA oil, though. It shouldn't give me trouble in a SynchroShuttle, though, should it? I believe I have the dry clutch. I'm not close to a 50 hr yet, but don't want any warranty issues down the road.

/ MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil #7  
I'm curious about your statement too Jerry. I recently bought some stuff at TSC that lists Permatran III on its compatability list. I would assume that means that it meets the standards for that oil. I do have a HST and am not willing to risk the tractor to save a few bucks. Could you elaborate on the reasoning behind your recommendation?

Thanks,

Mike

/ MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil #8  
Off the subject a little... Can you provide some info on your diff lock lever I saw in you photo album?

/ MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil #9  
Fluid clutches and fluid brakes require different additives to make them last. I have seen cheap of brand fluid used in tractors that had these features where the linings disintegrated. The 1533 has fluid brakes, but if it has a SynchroShuttle it has a dry clutch. I know that I would be afraid to use anything but a high grade fluid in any tractor with a hydro, a power shuttle, a power shift, a DynaQPS or with fluid brakes. If a tractor doesn't have any of these then the fluid requirements are far less.

/ MF 1533 Hydraulic Oil #10  
JerryG said:
Fluid clutches and fluid brakes require different additives to make them last. I have seen cheap of brand fluid used in tractors that had these features where the linings disintegrated. The 1533 has fluid brakes, but if it has a SynchroShuttle it has a dry clutch. I know that I would be afraid to use anything but a high grade fluid in any tractor with a hydro, a power shuttle, a power shift, a DynaQPS or with fluid brakes. If a tractor doesn't have any of these then the fluid requirements are far less.

Hi,

The moral of the story here, stick with Permtran!! It is worth it.