Silver Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 220-4
Saw a MF 165 diesel with fel for sale.

What is year?

HP?

Good things about the MF 165?

Bad things about the MF 165?

What should I look for on the tractor. Sign on it says the front end and power steering is new.

Any comments will be appreciated.

/ Massey 165 #2  
Trainer said:
Saw a MF 165 diesel with fel for sale.

What is year?

HP?

Good things about the MF 165?

Bad things about the MF 165?

What should I look for on the tractor. Sign on it says the front end and power steering is new.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Could be 1965 through 1975. You'll need a serial # to know beyond any doubt when it was built.

52 PTO HP.

Perkins 3 and 4 cylinder diesels are bullit-proof, economical to operate, and run almost forever. Cheap to overhaul if and when that day comes. The 165 is well balanced (power to weight). Aftermarket parts are fairly easy to get. AGCO (MF parent company) has most parts still. Everyone with a wrench seems to know how to work on them.

Multi-power shift is greatest thing since sliced bread WHEN IT WORKS. If it's gone bad, get your wallet used to being empty.

Check UNDER the transmission and bellhousing. You'll find 2 small weepholes that SHOULD have a cotter pin sticking out of each one. Look to see if there's excessive oil leakage there. If so, identify what sort of oil. (engine or tranny) The rear oil pan gaskets tend to leak on the earlier models. That's where it shows up. If it's tranny oil, and it's a multi-power unit, RUN....FAST. If no MP, it could be the input shaft seal. Tractor will need to be split to fix.

Try to get a serial #, and I'll be glad to help you identify the year. Pictures help too.

/ Massey 165
Did they all come with mulit power shift? If not, how will I know the difference. The guy wants $6300 for the tractor with a fel. It has a hay spear on the fel, not a bucket. I would have to find a bucket.

/ Massey 165 #4  
Trainer said:
Did they all come with mulit power shift? If not, how will I know the difference. The guy wants $6300 for the tractor with a fel. It has a hay spear on the fel, not a bucket. I would have to find a bucket.

Multi-Power will have a lever on the dash. (to left of steering wheel) It's a HI/LO shift. The Multi-power tractors were only available with 6 speed gear box (3X2) SOME non multi-power 6 speeds, but most non MP were (4X2) 8-speeds forward.

If the tractor has had a loader on it for long, and it's been used to handle round bales, check condition of front end. You mentioned steering/front end parts replaced. Check axle pivot bushing. Look for sag in front end. Long-term use moving round bales is tough on 165 front end.

Is the loader plumbed to the tractor's internal pump? Or does it have front or PTO pump? Internal pump a bit smallish for heavy loader work. (Slow cycling)

What sort of loader? Massey Ferguson? Aftermarket?

Is this a low profile model? (28" rear wheels) Or hi arch? (38" rears) Low models sell better in most parts of the country. Also, low front axle holds up better to loader use. (less leverage on axle pivot)

Price not far off IF.....IF tractor is in decent shape and good loader.