Massey Harris 44 - Questions

/ Massey Harris 44 - Questions #1  

Chris611

I am looking to purchase a tractor for light use on my acreage. I have found a 1952? MH 44. The tractor currently does not have power steering, ad says its "Armstrong" steering :) He says if he has a bale on the back, it steers pretty easy, but if there's a load in the bucket, you've got problems. He said something about being able to add power steering to the tractor. I am wondering how hard this would be and the associated cost. Also any other issues to look for on the tractor. It comes with a loader, rear blade and rotary mower. Any help with this tractor would be greatly apprecitated.

Thanks
Chris

/ Massey Harris 44 - Questions #2  
Chris, I've owned several 'aged' tractors and each one had good and bad points. I wouldn't buy one that I thought I would need to work on immediately to be satisfied. There's another out there that you can just use. That being said, most of my use is with an implement or bale on the back so power steering was never an issue. If there were problems using the loader you could pick up a used box blade, add a little weight and the steering problem is solved. Use the tractor on the owners farm and make a determination based on the amount of work you'll be doing.

Terry

/ Massey Harris 44 - Questions #3  
Great tractor in their day,but for today I'd look newer. If you like Massey then look for something from the early 60s at least. Easier to use and much safer too. Yes the price will be higher,but you'll be happier unless you want a collector tractor in the first place.