Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Excavator Samsung SE130LCM

Default Re: Outdoor wood boiler project

I looked at Central Boiler, Wood Doctor, Free Heat Machine, and Wood master. Wood Doctor had to small a door, Free Heat machine was made out of stainless (409) other wise liked the company and the website, and the central boiler seemed to smoke too much (went to a friends house to see it in action) so I went with the forced draft.

More later, have to put the kids to bed.

Hockeypuck
    ???

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

I had one of these wood eaters for 4 years. It used a tremendous amount of wood. I thankfully sold it and bought an AHS multi fuel boiler ( Wood,coal, backup oil) I put this new one in my garage and it is WAY more efficient than the outdoor one. And best of all I amm not freezing to death anymore while tending the fire.
    As far as the smoke issue, I can honestly say that the outdoor model I had DID NOT smoke hardly at all. It was efficient in the burn process but it took a lot of wood to heat the house.
    BTW, the model I had was called a Pacific Western.
    Father, GNCC racer, KTM rider, Bow hunter, Farm owner.
    Kubota MX5100
    Dodge 2500 CTD
    Yamaha YZ 250

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Excavator Samsung SE130LCM

I agree that outdoor wood furnaces are not for everyone. I also have found out in my research that improper installation techniques can lead to poor efficiency (ie what type of pipe did you use for your water to and from boiler). I work out in the cold so filling the stove before I leave for work and when I get home from work does not bother me. My wood lot has 60 to 70 percent hemlock which is not worth burning indoors. Cutting my wood in to 32 to 36" sections take a fraction of the time as compared to cutting and splitting to 16" perfect sized pieces. If you have to buy your wood in this sized format, you might as well save your back and stacking time and get a pellet wood stove/furnace. But since I will not have to pay for my own wood, the out door wood stove seems like a good choice for me. I am done lying awake at night wondering if I have a chimney fire, or stinking my house up with smoke, kids waking up with bloody noses from the dry heat, ect., ect. ect. I filled my 1000 gallon propane tank up with 2.50/gallon fuel for the last time. So when some nut job in the middle east looks at someone cross eyed again and oil shots over $80 bucks a barrel, it will be water off my back.

Puck
    ???

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

I installed it correctly. i live on top of a mountain and it is extremely windy and cold. I used the red Ki-Tec piping, with the oxygen barrier, I also insulated those pipes and inserted them into a larger PVC pipe and the ditch was well insulated with sand, sawdust and plastic.
    They are just simply not very efficient.I have 2 friends that are looking to ditch theirs also. BTW, I have seen quite a few in our local classified lately that are for sale and it seems as if they usually need "welded"
    My new boiler will handle large pieces of wood also but I mainly burn coal. I usually burn about 4-5 ton a year @$50 a ton. My home is Log and is 3,500sq ft. so It takes some energy to heat it. But the best part is all of the loading is done from a nice warm garage which scores big brownie points with the wife when she has to load it.
    I'm not trying to persuade you from an outdoor furnace. I'm just glad to see you are not going to send the terrorist anymore money just to heat your house. Put it in your own pocket and buy the kids or the wife something nice with the money you save. I'm just letting you know there are other options that you might want to check out...
    Father, GNCC racer, KTM rider, Bow hunter, Farm owner.
    Kubota MX5100
    Dodge 2500 CTD
    Yamaha YZ 250

Had a few minutes so thought I would check out a few of the other forums. Glad I did.
    I heat about 6000 sq. ft. with an 18 yr old boiler(fuel oil/$1000-1300 annual) and just started my research on a wood fired/dual fuel replacement. I was looking at thw Central outdoor unit but now am not sure. My boiler is in the basement and central to the lodge's 3 zones but not sure about a wood fired one there. Any suggestions? I'll look into the AHS one as I really need oil when I'm away. Seriously looking at thne biodiesel units and setting up a filtering/processing for the fuel.
    Thanks
    Daro

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Farmtrac 360 DTC TLB

Hockeypuck, equipmentuser and others..
    How did do heating with your outdoor boilers last year? I am once again considering a unit to burn wood and coal. Considering Hardy, Taylor, and Mahoning as they have are dealers. Any users care to comment on these brands?
    Thanks

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

hockeypuck

I drive by one on the way to work the guy has a nice set up a small pole building roof and 2 sides only and burner is under it he keeps his wood on a trailer under roof too so he is out of weather stoaking it.

Smoke on the other hand on a windless day is unbearable.

I dont know how he puts up with it, some times driving by is a hazzard with smoke on the road.

tom

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypuck
    So when some nut job in the middle east looks at someone cross eyed again and oil shots over $80 bucks a barrel, it will be water off my back.

Puck
    Afternoon Puck,
    Who ever thought $80 ??? Dont have an outdoor boiler but do burn wood and just thinking how happy not to be hogtied by some raghead !
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC55DA EHSS 4Wd

Quote Originally Posted by rogdan
    Hockeypuck, equipmentuser and others..
    How did do heating with your outdoor boilers last year? I am once again considering a unit to burn wood and coal. Considering Hardy, Taylor, and Mahoning as they have are dealers. Any users care to comment on these brands?
    Thanks
    I have been heating for 3 -going on 4 - years with a Heatmor brand boiler. I love it!! It takes a few seasons to really learn how to run it at peak efficiency though.

I researched the purchase to death... then my brother, who lives in Wisconsin (where seemingly everyone has an outdoor boiler) said that if he polled every guy that he works with about their particular brand/model they would all say it's the best.... so you just have to pick one and go with it and not fret about whether or not it's "the best". So that's what I did..... Of course I think I picked well - who wouldn't after spending $8,000 (or whatever..).

In any case I heartily endorse the forced draft models. IMO the natural draft models do smoke more. All of these boilers will smoke a bit during changes in the cycle. Using dry wood and figuring out the optimum maintenance for a given boiler will also help keep it less smokey.

One of the features that I love about my Heatmor is the grates and cleanout. The ashes fall down through the grates and you auger out the ashes once every week or two. With many boilers you have to pretty much let the fire die out and the coals get low once a week to manually shovel out the ashes.

Annually, check the PH level of the water and add anti-corrosives as needed. Replace the sacrificial anode when needed if your unit has one. Oh, and similarly to tractors, maybe try to pick a well-recommended dealer who will answer any/all of your questions and assist with obtaining replacement parts when needed.

And finally DON'T install the darn thing close and upwind from neighbors if you have them.

I was lucky in the placement of mine - it's just 10 feet away from my back deck (where I stack some of the wood). The prevailing winds take the smoke away from my house and it all dissipates before any neighbors have to deal with it. In may case the boiler is on the SE corner of the house. Winds are coming from the NW.

Good luck, Paul (12-15 cords)

Oh, and of the brands you mentioned only the Taylor has a local dealer to me. It was my runner-up. Seemed like a well made unit. One other observation - I was amused by the fact that some brands would list as disadvantages what other firms listed as their unique advantages.... so don't let the marketing crap confuse you too much.
    New Holland TC55DA EHSS FWD with 270TL loader and various other goodies........

Bronze Member

What do you use for the underground pipe? I've been looking at the Central Boiler Classic, and accepted the $7000 price tag. Then I started looking at the other components, primarily the insulated pipe for connection to the house and shop. At $12 per foot and 250 ft of pipe, I'm looking at another $3000 for pipe. Ouch!! Is it worth it? Is it necessary? I've found a product called Maxx-r insulation that runs about $1 per foot. Add two 1" pex lines inside of that for about $1 per foot each, and that $3000 turns into $750. The Maxx-R claims about the same heat loss as the ThermoPEX insulated pipe, about 2 degreees over 100 ft, or something like that.

If I decide to invest in this heating system, I only want to install it once. Will I regret not using the fancy, high priced pipe? Thanks for your help.
    Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast