Massey TE20 Transmision Help Please !!!!

/ Massey TE20 Transmision Help Please !!!! #1  

McDenny's

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1445
Well my farther in law has a little dilemma, he bought a old TE20 to play around with. He got it running and its a little rough around the edges, but not in to bad of shape so he put some new tires and wheels on it. It wouldn't go into reverse, so one weekend when I was visiting with my wife (they are 2 1/2 hours away from us) I took a look at it. I am not to familiar with old tractors. I have worked on a few, but I am no expert. I couldn't see anything visible wrong, but if I remember the "start" and "reverse" were on the same throw. I asked him to check the lever/plunger that engages the solenoid for the starter to make sure it wasn't binding or anything. A few weeks later, lets just say he heard a bang, and looked down to see fluid coming out of the case. There isn't any sign of reverse now, it split the side of the case, from how he explained it to me, it put a "X" crack in it. I am heading up there on Sunday to help him split the tractor. I am a diesel mechanic and have done several transmissions to I know the theory, but what I am wondering, since he service manual isn't very detailed, what I might run into. I have split several tractor for engine, clutch work, but I have never taken the trans of the rear diff. I am going to take the trans apart and he wants to see if he can get the case welded. Any info from the folks on here would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis