how much

/ how much #1  

accordionman

Gold Member
Tractor
KUBOTA L3000DT, FEL.
HELLO TO ALL,
how much will a MF 165 w/power steering, rebuilt
engine/w 200 hours. 1965 model. sell for?
anybody have a ballpark figure?
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ how much #2  
A fellow Missourian - Hello. To your question:

Tongue in cheek - depends if you're buying or selling.
Seriously could use more info. Gas or diesel? Condition of pwr steering? Does Multipower work if so equiped? General condition and appearance?

A year ago I divested myself of a 1970 with Perkins gasser in need of engine rebuild (burning oil & fouling plugs) and power steering rebuild (cylinder leaking & loose pivot point causing wheel shimmy), working Multipower, 1 remote, average overall & appearance for $4500. As a range I've seen 165's advertised $4-6K here in western MO, good diesels toward the higher end.

/ how much #3  
Fredex said:
A fellow Missourian - Hello. To your question:

Tongue in cheek - depends if you're buying or selling.
Seriously could use more info. Gas or diesel? Condition of pwr steering? Does Multipower work if so equiped? General condition and appearance?

A year ago I divested myself of a 1970 with Perkins gasser in need of engine rebuild (burning oil & fouling plugs) and power steering rebuild (cylinder leaking & loose pivot point causing wheel shimmy), working Multipower, 1 remote, average overall & appearance for $4500. As a range I've seen 165's advertised $4-6K here in western MO, good diesels toward the higher end.

165's are popular here. They have been from day 1.

Low ball worn out gas with bad multipower, $3500
Decent gas, good tranny, fair rubber, $4500
Diesel but junk, $4000
Low hour diesel with good rubber, good paint, well maintained, $6500

/ how much
HELLO TO ALL,
my friend is thinking of buy this tractor, and wants a
ballpark price. the man is asking 4k. the engine as i said,
has 200 hours on overhaul. the powersteering is not in
good condition. may need some work, also the tires are not
in good shape. it is a gas engine.
thanks for any comments.
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ how much
HELLO AGAIN,
can you tell me what this multipower gadget is?
also, on the powersteering, is this a rebuild type
repair, or replace on the pump?
thanks for any comment.
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ how much #6  
accordionman said:
HELLO AGAIN,
can you tell me what this multipower gadget is?
also, on the powersteering, is this a rebuild type
repair, or replace on the pump?
thanks for any comment.
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

Multipower is a hi/lo shifter. It'll be located on the left side of the dash panel. Tractor will have usual mechanical hi/lo, and 3-speed shift (+ reverse).
Multipower splits each gear, giving you 12 forward speeds. Biggest downfall(s) are 1. it freewheels in low range. You don't want to start down a steep hill with multipower in low. #2 issue is the seal troubles that come with age. (Oil leaks) Problems with multipower (pump, ect) are expensive to repair, but can be fixed. Multipower works BEST when pulling heavy load or draft. Hit a hard spot and kick it down to low to pull through, then back into high. It's great for plowing. All things being equal, I still prefer the 8-speed without multipower over the 12 speeds.

Power steering is "rebuildable", just not easy to rebuild. Best results with replacement.

/ how much #7  
ABout that pwr steering; I'd pull the front grill access panel and take a peek at the steering cylinder, control valve, etc. At least check for leaks or full of dirt and check for loose steering connections. The pwr steering pump is, of course on the side of the engine. Massey used several different pumps over the years

I'd also run it in every gear, listening for broken teeth; check both brakes, clutch adjustment, diff. lock engagement, cycle the hydraulics, check all the fluids,etc. Does the tach work - and the guages?

Give you and idea about making an offer and how much work it may require if purchased.

/ how much #8  
Fredex said:
ABout that pwr steering; I'd pull the front grill access panel and take a peek at the steering cylinder, control valve, etc. At least check for leaks or full of dirt and check for loose steering connections. The pwr steering pump is, of course on the side of the engine. Massey used several different pumps over the years

I'd also run it in every gear, listening for broken teeth; check both brakes, clutch adjustment, diff. lock engagement, cycle the hydraulics, check all the fluids,etc. Does the tach work - and the guages?

Give you and idea about making an offer and how much work it may require if purchased.

There's probably a dozen different steering maladies related to just the power steering "control valve". Most common is turning fine one direction and not at all the other direction.

Another common problem on 100 series with power steering is people putting ATF or "power steering fluid" in the pump when it gets low instead of hy-tran like Massey intended. It WILL leak.

Pumps appear from time to time on EBAY. Found a spare pump for my 150 on there. (Paid $116 inc. shipping. couldn't pass)