1970 37hp value

/ 1970 37hp value #1  

daro

I have just heard about a 1970 MF 37hp perkins. I do not know the model # but know it is a one owner with 2486hs. and was barn kept when in storage. I hope to see it soon. Any idea as to the value? Asking 5K
Thanks for the time and knowledge?
Daro

/ 1970 37hp value #2  
Hopefully Bill -aka -Farmwithjunk will see this and chime in, he's the Massey expert on this board. I have no idea.

/ 1970 37hp value #4  
Sounds like its probably a 135, could be worth close
to $5000 if its a diesel, good cond.,good rubber,straight
sheet metal, no obvious problems, leaks, ps etc.

/ 1970 37hp value #5  
daro said:
I have just heard about a 1970 MF 37hp perkins. I do not know the model # but know it is a one owner with 2486hs. and was barn kept when in storage. I hope to see it soon. Any idea as to the value? Asking 5K
Thanks for the time and knowledge?
Daro

It's PROBABLY a 135. In their era, (1965-1975) they were the best selling tractor worldwide. (Production ran past 1975 everywhere EXCEPT US) (They were built in the U.S. [Detroit], The Banner LAne plant in England, also France, and Turkey) Also, it COULD be a 150. They had the same powertrain as the 135 with a heavier front axle, better power steering, bigger fuel tank, and all the options of a 135 as standard equipment. They were a "row crop" version of the 135 for the most part. They were also available as a "high arch" tractor. (38" rear wheels, much more ground clearance) My PERSONAL OPINION is, the 150 was the best utility tractor EVER built.

Easiest way to tell the difference for the "untrained eye" would be the US market 135's had radius rods running from the "swept back" front axle to just under the steering column. The 150 had a "straight axle" and no radius rods.

There's also ANOTHER possibility. It COULD be an industrial tractor. (2135, MF 20 ect) The "AG" tractors had a "medallion" on the side of the hood with model designation. (i.e. 135, 150, ect) The industrials (with the EXCEPTION of the 2135) had the model designation PAINTED on the hood.

GOOD 135's are selling upwards of $5000 nowdays. Decent 150's are selling over $6500.

That "little" PErkins AD152-3 is one of the most efficient engines ever built. It went into production in the mid 50's, and STILL is used today in an updated form. (Sort of the small block Chevy of the tractor world) In addition to great reliability, outstanding fuel efficiency, and great performance, it's without question the cheapest engine to rebuild on this or any other planet. A complete rebuild "kit" will set you back just over $400. Better yet, they'll go 5000 hours and up before they need any attention other than routine maint. (A neighbor has a 135 with 11,000 hours on the original engine. Yeah, it smokes a bit. But that's more than double the life expectancy of most diesels)

37 HP was a VERY conservative estimate of HP. Mine dynoed at 42 when serviced during pre-delivery. I turned up the injector pump a few years later to its present 47 PTO HP level.

Here's my 150! It's a 1971 Perkins diesel, 3025 hrs. It was the first new tractor I owned. I wouldn't take $10,000 for this one!

Attachments

• repaint9.JPG
    repaint9.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 432
  • wax3.JPG
    wax3.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 343
  • wax4.JPG
    wax4.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
   / 1970 37hp value #6  
Got a question for you. What is the approx weight of a 165D? Someone on another forum asked me what mine weighed and it been so long since I had it I couldn't remember. Know it was a lot larger tractor than my Yanmar and it tips the scales @ 4k# with me in the saddle.

Sure loved the 165 and the Perkins made it a dream. Wish I could have justified keeping it when I got out of the haying business but just couldn't, too large for my small acreage.

/ 1970 37hp value #7  
Mickey_Fx said:
Got a question for you. What is the approx weight of a 165D? Someone on another forum asked me what mine weighed and it been so long since I had it I couldn't remember. Know it was a lot larger tractor than my Yanmar and it tips the scales @ 4k# with me in the saddle.

Sure loved the 165 and the Perkins made it a dream. Wish I could have justified keeping it when I got out of the haying business but just couldn't, too large for my small acreage.

According to 1972 Massey Ferguson sales literature, a 165 diesel "standard" has a "wet weight" (Yes to fuel, oil, ect, NO to fluid in tires) of 4950 lbs. That's a 6-speed w/ multipower. "row crop" version (38" rears) 5050 lbs. Those are averages. Options can add more weight.

/ 1970 37hp value #8  
Mickey_Fx said:

They are rated at about 5100 lbs with the gas engine.
Shouldn't think tha diesel is a whole lot different.
JJ.

/ 1970 37hp value
Thanks for all of the input. I just talked with the person who heard of this tractor and am on the way to meet with him and ride over to the barn where the tractor is. He informed me this morning that the tractor is actually a 43hp.
Any feedback on this update will help me in my decision and I should have a model #, a look at this tractor,. and a repost w/i a couple of hours.
PS. can these be otfitted with a FEL?
Thanks,
Daro

/ 1970 37hp value
Thanks for all the help and I apologize for the lack of correct info.
Just back from a look so here is some more info.
MF 135 (1970?)
Engine block casting #: 37111450 X
Left rear axle casting #: 897-030-M1
Tranny casting #: 897-719-M2
3LNPM<F>LN43B
Rear tire size: 13.6-28

The tractor looks 30 yrs. used but no major leaks. Tires are dry rotted but holding air. Overall, a basic good tractor by looks. The owner was not home so I couldn't give it a go but my UIL heard it run yesterday.

My wife had the DC so no photos.

Any idea to the value?
Thanks,
Daro