MF 1030, advice needed on use

/ MF 1030, advice needed on use #1  

longrange2

I am looking at buying my first tractor, a used MF 1030 with a loader. I was wondering what experience others have had with this model. I have about 10acres to brush hog and will also be using it for snow removal and for scraping a gravel drive. I was initially looking at a 30 HP tractor (specifically a used Yanmar) but found a local 1030 and am considering that too. Is the 1030 heavy enough and enough HP to get the job done or should I stick with more HP and get the Yanmar?

/ MF 1030, advice needed on use #2  
longrange2 said:
I am looking at buying my first tractor, a used MF 1030 with a loader. I was wondering what experience others have had with this model. I have about 10acres to brush hog and will also be using it for snow removal and for scraping a gravel drive. I was initially looking at a 30 HP tractor (specifically a used Yanmar) but found a local 1030 and am considering that too. Is the 1030 heavy enough and enough HP to get the job done or should I stick with more HP and get the Yanmar?

Afternoon longrange2,
Welcome to TBN, you will find alot of people on this site like yourself and they can offer huge amounts of info on subjects from A-Z.
Im including a link to data on the MF 1030. That tractor should do everything you want but I personally think you might try and step up a bit in the HP department. I own a MF 1040 and use it to bushog my property and grade and clear 800 ft driveway. Drag logs move wood, you name it, I find a use for it. The 1030 would probablly do everything you want but a bit slower.

TractorData.com - Massey Ferguson 1030

/ MF 1030, advice needed on use #3  
I have a 1030 Synchro MFWD with a MF 1016 loader on it. So far, it has been a great unit for me, but I only have 2.5 acres to deal with. Like Scott said, it should do anything you want within reason, but maybe not as fast as a larger unit. Mine does fine pulling around a five foot shredder or five foot box blade, or toting around bucket loads of sand, soil, or what not.

Whatever unit you choose, best of luck with your "new" machine.

Russ

/ MF 1030, advice needed on use #4  
Long,
I have a 1020,and 5 acres it does everything I need. More HP would be nice sometimes but to big makes it hard to manuver.

/ MF 1030, advice needed on use #5  
that should be all you need cause its a three speed tranny and low and high range , itll git r done fer what you gotta do and when you bush hog keep the rpm on 3500 up to about 400 cause i normally keep mine on 3500 and when i go up hill kick it up a lil

/ MF 1030, advice needed on use #6  
I own a 1030. The only shortcoming I have run into is that apparently the crankshaft is somewhat weak when compared to the larger models.Mine snapped in half and runied the block using the backhoe at about half throttle. I was able to get an engine from a 1035 from a salvage yard. Dimensionally identical and bolted right up, but I needed the 1035 clutch as well, as the crank had 5 bold holes as opposed to 4 bolt holes for the flywheel. The salvage yard I went through deals specifically in Masseys and they said that almost all the 1030's they've gotten had snapped cranks. I'm very happy with my 1035 engine and feel a slight peace of mind knowing it has a stronger crank. The tractor itself is very robust and reliable, imo. I maintain about 13 acres with it and do small cash jobs with it when I have time.

greg