Got My NEW toy... MF 1428V Hydro

/ Got My NEW toy... MF 1428V Hydro #1  

DuaneW

Bronze Member
My toy was delivered last week, its a new old stock 1428V Hydro, with a 1520 loader, Quick Attatch, and also a pallet fork. Got it all for $14,700 + tax. Think I did pretty good.

Have a couple of questions,
1st one is how do you get the darned glow plugs to fire? did not notice any lights on the dash, can see them in top of motor and manual states cycle times for various temps. I know that I am missing something simple.
2nd, does anybody have any photos of the suitcase weights for these tractors, found some generic ones on ebay, $75 + $18 shipping for 4 weights @ 29lbs each. Is 116lbs enough weight to even help.

Ok, three questions,
I also have 75lb wheel weights from my soon to be gone yard tractor, these weights WILL fit into the front wheels. ANY reason I shouldnt drill 2 holes in the front rims and mount these instead of buying suitcase weights?

thanks,
DuaneW.

PS. Oh yea, this is my first massey, was looking for an Agco because of the paint color, AC Orange (FUNNY HUH). Was raised on allis and Oliver NEVER anything red before, looks funny in the barn lol.

Last edited:
   / Got My NEW toy... MF 1428V Hydro #2  
Mornin Duane,
Congrats on your new tractor ! Sounds like a nice combination and should give you many years of good service !

On the glow plugs, dont you have an operators manual ? I have an older Massey MF 1040 1986, and to activate the glow plugs you turn the ignition key to the left. Temp will dictate for how long they need to be on ! Also when they are on a light appears on the dash.

On the front weights, I dont see where they would cause a problem, as long as you dont undermine the structural integrity of the front rims.

Good luck with your new machine !

/ Got My NEW toy... MF 1428V Hydro #3  
turn the key to the left (it's straight up and down when off and you turn it right to start), turn and hold the key to the left and the glow plugs. I usually count to 10. unless it's really cold and then i'll count to 30.

I don't think the front weights (suitcase?) and the loader play nice together, might check on that.

/ Got My NEW toy... MF 1428V Hydro #4  
DuaneW said:
Hydro, with a
, found some generic ones on ebay, $75 + $18 shipping for 4 weights @ 29lbs each. Is 116lbs enough weight to even help.

Yes, 116 lbs hung on the front will definitely help. I used to hang 120 lbs on the front of my JD when mowing on steep hills and it made a difference in keeping the front on the ground. Of course the loader has to be off when the weights are on.

/ Got My NEW toy... MF 1428V Hydro #5  
Duane,

As the others said, turn the key to the left and hold to active the glow plugs. On the 33 and 40 hp models there is a black nut looking thing on the right side of the dash. It has a hole in it. If you will watch the hole, you will see a glow in it. When the glow goes off or starts to dim (depends on how cold it is) you can start the tractor. (I can't remember for sure if the 1428 has the nut or not but I think that it does.)

If you have 4wd it is not recommended to to put weights on the front wheels. It is the same way with chains and fluid. There will be some that will take exception to this. If a manufacture doesn't recommend it, normally there is a reason. A person may do it and not have a problem, but there is a greater chance that a problem will develop if he does. I wouldn't want to take the chance, because part and labor are too high. The suit case weights can be used without worry if you don't have a loader. If you have a loader, you shouldn't need the suit case weights given the weight of the loader.

Welcome to TBN and Club Red.

/ Got My NEW toy... MF 1428V Hydro
Jerry,
Yes it is mfwd, didnt know that wheel weights were not recommended on them. I wont be leaving the loader on when mowing, as the kids will be doing it and I don't want all of the cornors on the buildings rounded off. I will have to try harder to turn the key backwards ( to the left ), didnt feel like it wanted to turn that way. I am going to put the box blade on it a see how light that makes the front, as it is an 84" woods and weighs in at around 850lbs. If its not unreasonable, then a 550lb mower should be ok.

Thanks
DuaneW.

/ Got My NEW toy... MF 1428V Hydro #7  
I didn't realize that the "glow" should start to dim or go out before I start, I have always waited until it was very bright then started the tractor. I have the manual too, guess I forgot that part. (Not unusual for me!)
Duane...........need pictures! Welcome to da club!

/ Got My NEW toy... MF 1428V Hydro #8  
mark4Jesus said:
I didn't realize that the "glow" should start to dim or go out before I start, I have always waited until it was very bright then started the tractor. I have the manual too, guess I forgot that part. (Not unusual for me!)
Duane...........need pictures! Welcome to da club!
My wait depends on how cold it is. If it is warm or not to cold, I will just let it get bright also. I don't think that the manual has anything in it about this.

/ Got My NEW toy... MF 1428V Hydro
I'll get some photos in of the tractor, so far really impressed me. Was able to handle my Woods 84" box blade without making the front end light, even did ok pulling it ( nothing heavy and shanks up, just driveway ). So then I tried lifting the 88" SHD Alamo flail mower, front is light, but mower weighs in at 1500lbs +. These where both with the loader off of the tractor.

JerryG, looked in the manual again, says turn key to left for glow plugs, my key will NOT turn to the left. Started playing with the key a little and discovered a slight detent right before the start position. Turned on lights then turned key to this detent and the lights dimmed, so I thing I found my glow plug postion. This was verified at the dealer, the 15xx series key also works in this fashion. Little bugger starts alot better using the glow plugs.

I also found me a Woods RM550 with only approx. 100hrs on it. Was not wanting a side discharge or a 60" mower, but the savings are worth it till I decide to bite the bullet and go bigger.

DuaneW.