Shuttle lever switch problems?

/ Shuttle lever switch problems? #1  

DMF

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1552 Cab Model
OK, here is my problem. I have a 1433V. Often, when I get out of the seat the engine will shut off (or starts to) until I sit back down quickly. If I wiggle the shuttle lever and try again it usually works. But it has been getting worse, to the point where I have to do this several times. It doesn’t always happen immediately either; sometimes I’m taking a step down when it stops. I am assuming it has something to do with a safety switch in the column near the shuttle lever. Does anyone know how to access this and troubleshoot it? Is this a common problem with these? A recall or service bulletin would be nice…
Thanks!

/ Shuttle lever switch problems? #2  
The way it is wired, any time that you get up, the tractor should shut off. Sounds like your seat switch is sticking. Get you a short piece of wire and put 3/16 spade ends on it. Pull both wires off of the seat switch and put the new wire between the ends. Then try to see if you can recreate the problem. I bet that it is the seat switch and not the shuttle switches unless one of them has a wire almost pulled out of a connector. That would be highly unlikely.

/ Shuttle lever switch problems?
Jerry - I should be able to get off the seat with it running though... In fact I can. The seat switch should allow me to get off the seat as long as other items are not engaged I thought (PTO, shuttle lever) That's why I was assuming it was something to do with the shuttle because if I sit back down and wiggle the shuttle lever I can usually get up at that point (sometimes takes more than one try to do this though...)

I will try the seat thing though as it should be the easiest place to begin troubleshooting. Thanks a bunch! (I was hoping you'd notice this post Jerry!)

/ Shuttle lever switch problems? #4  
Remove the covers on the steering column to expose shuttle lever switches. The shuttle lever switches have slotted holes for adjustment, one of the screws holding the shuttle lever switch probably got loose. Tractor is designed to shut off if it senses the shuttle lever is engaged and no one is in the seat.

/ Shuttle lever switch problems? #5  
I was reading something into your post that wasn't there. I don't know where I got the PTO was on, but I see that you didn't say anything about it.

What Jeep said is right about the shuttle switches.

DMF said:
Jerry - I should be able to get off the seat with it running though... In fact I can. The seat switch should allow me to get off the seat as long as other items are not engaged I thought (PTO, shuttle lever) That's why I was assuming it was something to do with the shuttle because if I sit back down and wiggle the shuttle lever I can usually get up at that point (sometimes takes more than one try to do this though...)

I will try the seat thing though as it should be the easiest place to begin troubleshooting. Thanks a bunch! (I was hoping you'd notice this post Jerry!)

/ Shuttle lever switch problems?
Adjusted switch as suggested by Jeep. Didn't appear that it loosened up; looked more like the springsteel strip that actuates the button on the switch was fatigued a little. In fact I kind of re-bent it somewhat and it looks like it'll be fine now.

Thanks for the tips gentlemen!