MF 165 Lift issue

/ MF 165 Lift issue #1  

AllWaysBreakinSomething

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF165, Ford Workmaster 661, Super A, Bobcat 943
I'm looking for an opinion on my lift. It will lift and lower but It will not maintain an in between position:( . It has the same affect regardless of the position of the draft control. I'm assumming the pump seals are worn out. Should I skip any other testing and assume the pump is bad? I don't have a repair manual and don't know where to start taking it apart. I have taken apart a Ford 8N pump before. Help

Also meant to mention that when raised all the way up it will stay up for some time before leaking down. Depends on the weight I have attached.

/ MF 165 Lift issue #2  
Leave the draft control lever alone. Raise it to it's highest position. Now, with the POSITION CONTROL lever, run it up and down. Same results? Sounds like you may have, among other things, a weak master control spring. Or possibly, just an adjustment is needed in position control linkage. You need to contact "Big Dean" Austin with your issues. (see link below) He'll sell you a CD with step-by-step diagnosis of the hydraulics on that 165. I doubt the pump has any issues. If so, it wouldn't raise a load on the lift in the first place. The fact that it maintains the lifted load indicates all should be well with pump and valving. Most likely a control linkage issue.

Big Dean's Massey Ferguson tips

Last edited:
   / MF 165 Lift issue
Thanks FarmsWithJunk. Big Deans really got a story to tell. Looks like his CD covers exactly what my problem is.