Bronze Member
    Tractor
    MF165, MF1020

Default MF 165 Lift issue

I'm looking for an opinion on my lift. It will lift and lower but It will not maintain an in between position . It has the same affect regardless of the position of the draft control. I'm assumming the pump seals are worn out. Should I skip any other testing and assume the pump is bad? I don't have a repair manual and don't know where to start taking it apart. I have taken apart a Ford 8N pump before. Help

Also meant to mention that when raised all the way up it will stay up for some time before leaking down. Depends on the weight I have attached.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Default Re: MF 165 Lift issue

Leave the draft control lever alone. Raise it to it's highest position. Now, with the POSITION CONTROL lever, run it up and down. Same results? Sounds like you may have, among other things, a weak master control spring. Or possibly, just an adjustment is needed in position control linkage. You need to contact "Big Dean" Austin with your issues. (see link below) He'll sell you a CD with step-by-step diagnosis of the hydraulics on that 165. I doubt the pump has any issues. If so, it wouldn't raise a load on the lift in the first place. The fact that it maintains the lifted load indicates all should be well with pump and valving. Most likely a control linkage issue.

Big Dean's Massey Ferguson tips
    Last edited by Farmwithjunk; 03-30-2007 at 07:37 AM.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    MF165, MF1020

Default Re: MF 165 Lift issue

Thanks FarmsWithJunk. Big Deans really got a story to tell. Looks like his CD covers exactly what my problem is.