how to service front wheel bearing?

/ how to service front wheel bearing? #1  

accordionman

Gold Member
Tractor
KUBOTA L3000DT, FEL.
HELLO TO ALL,
i have a manual but it does not tell, or show how to
remove the cover to access the front wheel bearings.
is this cover threaded, or just pry it out?
this is a MF 165 1972 w/perkins gas engine.
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ how to service front wheel bearing? #2  
I belive all the wheel bearing covers on the 165 tractors threaded in. I know both of mine do. Some had grease fittings on the out side, but I only use those for in season greasing and remove & re-pack the bearings at the begining of each year.

/ how to service front wheel bearing? #3  
All you really have to do to get it all apart is to spin the hub cover off, then there will be a pin you need to pull out of a castle nut, take the nut off and (I don't remember if there is two nuts on that or just one) but it should just pull right off when the nut is taken off. Repack bearings or replace if needed (if replaced replace the races too) then reinstall with new grease seal at the back of the hub. I don't know what the torque specs are but surely someone will chime in with that.

/ how to service front wheel bearing?
HELLO TO ALL,
thanks to all that replied.
BIRDHUNTER1,
hello, i am from grand tower. i have not been down there
for many years. is it still there?
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ how to service front wheel bearing? #5  
Chances are Grand Tower hasn't changed much since the last time you were there. They did get a new fire truck and new fire station a few years ago, the power plant expanded around 1999-2001. I am down that way alot headed to Wolf Lake, Ware or to Cape Girardeau.

/ how to service front wheel bearing? #6  
accordionman said:
HELLO TO ALL,
i have a manual but it does not tell, or show how to
remove the cover to access the front wheel bearings.
is this cover threaded, or just pry it out?
this is a MF 165 1972 w/perkins gas engine.
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

"Dust cap" is threaded. A raised boss on the cap allows you to loosen and tighten with a rubber mallet. Or, grip them with big pair of channellocks. Get 'em tight when you re-install. They've been known to come loose and fall off. (Don't ask me how I know that please)