First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related

/ First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related #1  

dragula

Bronze Member
Well, I bought my new 2310 TLB last week. Was using the backhoe quite a bit last Saturday to dig out some small stumps and underbrush.

When at one point, I happen to notice on the backhoe that the thru-pin at the end of the main boom where it joins the stick arm was about to fall out. :rolleyes: Upon closer inspection, I found that the pinch bolt that holds the pin in was gone. I assumed that the nut had come off and the bolt had fallen out, allowing the pin to work itself loose.

So, I hammered the pin back in, put in another pinch bolt with a locking nut and went back to work. After a while, I noticed the thru-pin about to fall out again. Yep, pinch bolt was gone again.

I couldn't figure out why the pinch bolt kept coming loose and falling out. :confused: I just assumed it was because I was working in a lot of large vines which were wrapping around the boom quite a bit and that maybe they were unscrewing the nut on the pinch bolt.

SO, I installed a new bolt again, this time with TWO locknuts on it.

Went back to work. After a little while, I noticed the pin coming out for a THIRD time as the pinch bolt was gone AGAIN. :mad:

After inspecting it some more, I FINALLY realized what was happening. The pinch bolts weren't coming loose, they were BREAKING and falling out. :rolleyes:

I figured out that this pin had NO grease on it, so whenever the boom was in a bind, instead of the boom rotating around the pin, it was ROTATING the pin itself which was shearing off the pinch bolt. :mad: :mad: :(

So, I tried to grease it only to find out that the grease wouldn't go into the pin. I unscrewed the grease fitting and found a tiny piece of metal in it which was blocking grease from going into it. I cleaned it out, reinstalled it, greased the pin without a problem, put in another pinch bolt and tried the backhoe some more which is working fine now. :D

SO, my question is; who's at fault here for a pin on a brand new tractor not getting ANY grease? The manufacturer? The assembler? The dealer?

There are obviously two types of grease on all of the other pins as one grease is black and the other is light blue. One that I assume was used at the factory when it was assembled and the other at the dealer during the pre-delivery inspection.

As soon as I put my grease gun on the fitting and tried to pump grease into it, it was VERY obvious that it wouldn't accept any grease. This should have been VERY obvious to the assembler and/or dealer too yet they ignored it.

This certainly wasn't a major problem but it was VERY frustrating to me to chase down the cause of such a minor issue. :(

However, I still LOVE my tractor and I'm very happy with it. I just thought that I would post this to see if anyone else has run into a similar problem and to let others know what to look for if they keep losing pinch bolts.:)

/ First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related #2  
It sounds to me like their is fault and ignorance at a lot of places down the line. Sounds like a defective manufacturing part, and then ignorance on the installer, assembler, and dealer.

No problems yet on my end. Hopefully get to play a little more tomorrow.

/ First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related #3  
dragula said:
SO, my question is; who's at fault here for a pin on a brand new tractor not getting ANY grease? The manufacturer? The assembler? The dealer?

The dealer should have checked out the tractor before delivering it to you. It would appear that they did but did not repair a grease fitting that would not take grease. I would let the dealer know what you found. You took care of the problem so no big deal. Maybe he will give you a break on 50hr service materials for not making a big stink about it.

/ First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related #4  
Ray was right on the money... inevitably, it falls to the dealer for not completely following through on the final inspection for delivery. That is why they do that. I would give the dealer a courtesy call, explain the deal to him just to inform him. We are all human and mistakes do happen, it sounds like you have found you a very good dealer and it was a simple oversight which fortunately for the dealer was fixed easily and caused no damage. :D If your dealer is convinient enough, you may ask him to see if you can bring the tractor back in for a final once over again or like mentioned above, get them to cut you a break on your 50 hr service.

/ First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related #5  
These "Zerks" get painted over and thats why they usually don't accept grease
you can usually solve this problem by scraping then with a razor knife or blade,
or simply replacing them.
The simple truth is that the person that preps your new tractor is almost always the lowest man (kid) on the totem pole. It simply is not feasible to put a top notch flat rate mechanic on this job, (you would not want the bill). These are the type of tasks that you hope your newbe can perform, (being that they are provided with a simple to follow check list). However, I can guarantee you that almost everyone of the tractors has something that gets overlooked. And the number one thing is grease fittings that are not greased. If you check hard enough I bet you will find others. There are a number of grease fittings on these machines that are very easy to over look. They missed 3 on mine.
The moral of the story is "If you want something done right......."
Take the time and get to know your investment, do your own service when ever it is practical. I you need help its here for the asking.

/ First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related #6  
I work in auto service--run a repair shop. Although we are all human, and make mistakes, oversights etc.. I want to know when one of my guys messes up..When someone lets me know that some part of a repair or service wasn't done or done less than completely, I then have an opportunity to step up and prove that, to me(the shop), incomplete work is not acceptable.. I can then speak to the responsible tech (in a understanding but firm way) let him know this was noticed by our client. I can observe at this time how the tech reacts .. this is very important to me. we in the service industries need to be on top of what we offer..service..

I greatly appreciate it when told we dropped the ball. not that I'm glad to messed up.. but glad we were given the opportunity to make it right..

If you must do a job, why not try to do it right..

/ First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related
Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely let them know about this. Even though in the end, it was a very minor problem, it was still very aggravating to have to fix this on a brand new machine. Not to mention the time wasted in driving to my local home improvement store to get a replacement bolt of the right size.

When I first realized that it wasn't accepting the grease, I figured that the zerk fitting was painted over too but as it turned out there was something lodged inside the fitting itself. :mad:

/ First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related #8  
Have you talked to the dealer yet? Just wanted to know what their response to this issue is/was.

/ First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related #9  
O my gosh dragula, get a life, boy. Stop whining. Nothing really works, ...anywhere. It is 2007 and "me " generation is taking over . GOD bless us.
CONSIDER yourself extremely lucky, if this prompted you to make a post....

Joe

/ First minor "issue" w/new 2310; assembly related #10  
archerynut said:
Have you talked to the dealer yet? Just wanted to know what their response to this issue is/was.
What do you think there response is going to be?
"Thanks, I'll speak with the assembly guy."