MF35 Turf Special

/ MF35 Turf Special #1  

Blackfoot

Tractor
Cub Farmall,Farmall A,Ford 8N,MF35
Hello, I have been spending a bit of time at the electric fence. I just bought a 1964 MF35 Turf Special, Can anyone tell me about this tractor? WHat is the difference between the Continental engine and the Standard?. This tractor has Z134. Thank you Backfoot

/ MF35 Turf Special #2  
The Standard would be diesel. The Z134 is a Continental, you probably knew that. The Continental was a good reliable engine. I don't really know too much about the standard as there isn't too many around here and it was a few years before my time.

/ MF35 Turf Special #3  
I believe the standard engine was a a 3-cylinder Continental engine that was a 134 ci gas engine, then optional were the Continental Z145 4 cylinder gas engine that had the highest horsppower and there was a Perkins 152 ci 3 cylinder deisel engine. The z145 engine I know was on deluxe models with the multipower trans and may have been on some other as well. What I always thought to be the standard was the 135 with the 134 engine and a 6fx2r trans with no auxilary hydraulics.

/ MF35 Turf Special #4  
Blackfoot - I think you hit the wrong button & sent the following to the moderators instead of posting. Reposting for your convenience:

Well Thank you, This tractor has a front end loader on it, its not a heavy loader,I believe it is one that was switched from a trip dump loader to hydraulic. It came with a good push blade, and a bucket,but it seems that the bucket is to big. So I will have to cut it down and resize it.This has the gas engine in it. We live in mountain country, and I have been pushing bitter brush out with it and it seems to do a good job. With the blade, this tractor should be big enough for a loader shouldn't it? I have seen loaders like this one on 8N's before.This tractor has real wide tires,18.4-16.1. and it don't seem real tippy....Blackfoot

/ MF35 Turf Special #5  
Blackfoot said:
Hello, I have been spending a bit of time at the electric fence. I just bought a 1964 MF35 Turf Special, Can anyone tell me about this tractor? WHat is the difference between the Continental engine and the Standard?. This tractor has Z134. Thank you Backfoot

Standard diesels should have made their exit long before 1964. (I'm thinking '58 or '59) By then, the diesels were Perkins. Standards weren't quite the engine that the AD3-152 Perkins turned out to be. The Continental 4 cylinder gas Z134 engine is a classic. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone with experience around that motor that would have any negatives. In the late 1960's, Massey Ferguson adopted a 3-cylinder Perkins gasser to streamline cost. It shared many common parts with the diesel. It was very successful also. This applies to U.S. market tractors. Massey's UK versions had many differences.

/ MF35 Turf Special
Thank you, for that imformation, I was buisy ordering parts today. Seems all the tractors that I have ever bought don't have brakes, all of my tractors are old, this is the newest one. I have an 8N, that I think blew the head gasket last winter, oil in the water? would that be right. Then I have a farmall A that is just about new, this old fellow had it in his shop for years and finally his wife made him sell it. Its a dandy 30 below it starts every time. Do you know of a good outfit to get hydrualic cylinders from? Thanks again, Blackfoot

/ MF35 Turf Special #7  
The Standard 23c 4 cylinder diesel made its exit at the end of 1959. The Perky came in in 1960. We have a 23c in Dads MF, and other than needing to be plugged in ( and now a parts availibility problem ), never been a problem with it.

JMHO.

/ MF35 Turf Special #8  
WilliamBos said:
The Standard 23c 4 cylinder diesel made its exit at the end of 1959. The Perky came in in 1960. We have a 23c in Dads MF, and other than needing to be plugged in ( and now a parts availibility problem ), never been a problem with it.

JMHO.

Parts availability..... That's been the down side to Standard diesels for many years now. The PErkins diesel was so wildly successful, it seems people, including those at MF, neglected to follow up with parts in the system for the old "Standards". They had "issues" with the fueling system. (injectors, pump, ect) as well as having a rep as "hard to start". (They don't like cold weather at all)