McCormick IH 46 square baler needle

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
Well it seems the 46 has finally bitten the dust. I bent a needle (side closest to pickup) and can't see spending a lot of money to fix it given it's age. Would anyone have an idea of where I might find a used one?

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #2  
That might be hard to find but if you know the part number or how many other models will interchange with your needles you might be able to find a whole baler.

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #3  
Where are you located? You might find one at a tractor salvage dealer.;)

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #4  
jwcinpk said:
Well it seems the 46 has finally bitten the dust. I bent a needle (side closest to pickup) and can't see spending a lot of money to fix it given it's age. Would anyone have an idea of where I might find a used one?

Afternoon jwcinpk,
Just a suggestion ! I would post a wanted add over at YT Tractors in their classifieds section, I think you will be pleasently suprized ! ;) I have had very good luck getting parts for my antiques !

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #5  
As the proud owner of two Model 46 IH balers, try posting on RedPowerMagazine.com. It's all "old red" guys.

PS I only have one good pickup side needle or I'd offer you one.

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #6  
Well you did say you bent the needle, not broke it. Have you considered trying to straighten it? Heat it up and drive on it with a vehicle. If its cracked, have it welded. I use nickel rod with an AC buzzbox to re-do all kind of mallable iron pieces. If its just bent a little bit, then empty the baler and cycle it by hand until the needles lift up thru the knotter drive. Adjust the needle position to just glide thru the twine disks. This is where the twine is clamped in the disks. The tying operation is no mystery, just a fantastic sequence of mechanical movements, like a ballet. I've noticed thru the years that just about all baler parts are interchangable. See what it takes to swap in some NH or JD parts.

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #7  
Got my manuals up to the house tonight. According to my parts manual, both sides are the same (mine sure don't look alike, but maybe they're both bent (yikes!). Anyway, part number for twine baler (I assume yours is twine, not wire) is 662 034 R2 and it shows Qty 2. If you need any more part numbers, send me a private message.

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #8  
Forgot to mention, the Service Manual covers 45, 46, 50, 55, and 56 twine balers, so there is a good possibility the needles were used on several models. Try your nearest CNH/IH dealer and they may be able to at least verify if the part exists on several models -- then try the salvage yards.

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle
I've posted a parts wanted ad on tractorhouse. The needle is definately bent not broken. Trip the knotter and raise the needles and the needle hits the frame of the baler instead of sliding through the notches to engage the knotter. I geuss it's worth a try to straighten it but that seems doubtful.

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #10  
VistanTN said:
Forgot to mention, the Service Manual covers 45, 46, 50, 55, and 56 twine balers, so there is a good possibility the needles were used on several models. Try your nearest CNH/IH dealer and they may be able to at least verify if the part exists on several models -- then try the salvage yards.

Those needles if memory is correct are the same from the 45 to the early model 430 and 440 balers. The later model 430 and 440 were the all twine models which did take a different needle and they were all the same as far as side.