I have never used a grain drill and need help

/ I have never used a grain drill and need help #1  

BryanM

Gold Member
Tractor
John deere 2155, ford 1600
I apoligize, I feel like I am asking to many questions here! I just picked up a IH #10 grain drill at an auction and it does have a grass seeder attachment and it looks as if it works Have not tested and I have never used one before.

I look on the grass seeder chart under the lid of the grass seeder hopper but it does not give me orchard grass, It give aprox 7 grasses only a few I reconize Like timothy, canary ?

So here is the question what would I set the planter at what size seed is comparible to orchard grass?

Another question, Is the grass seed suppose to be layed in the cut that the disc makes or does it gett pushed in with rain? My seed tubes dont go all the way to the ground they stop six inches from the ground and are not perfectly aligned to drop seed in the furrows cut? Any info helpful!

/ I have never used a grain drill and need help
Has anyone ever operated a #10 Grain drill? Help?

/ I have never used a grain drill and need help #4  
I apoligize, I feel like I am asking to many questions here! I just picked up a IH #10 grain drill at an auction and it does have a grass seeder attachment and it looks as if it works Have not tested and I have never used one before.

I look on the grass seeder chart under the lid of the grass seeder hopper but it does not give me orchard grass, It give aprox 7 grasses only a few I reconize Like timothy, canary ?

So here is the question what would I set the planter at what size seed is comparible to orchard grass?

Another question, Is the grass seed suppose to be layed in the cut that the disc makes or does it gett pushed in with rain? My seed tubes dont go all the way to the ground they stop six inches from the ground and are not perfectly aligned to drop seed in the furrows cut? Any info helpful!

The seed is supposed to drop into the grooves made by the disc openers. I have drag chains attached to the boots at the end of the drop tubes to cover the seed.

DSCF0014 (Small).JPG

After the seed is planted, you need to compact the soil to get the seed in good contact with the ground. Some drills have press wheels on the back to do this job. Otherwise, you have to make another pass over the field with something to do that job. I use a cultipacker for that task.

I'd add extensions to the seed tubes to get the ends closer to the ground. You can see from the photo above that the ends of the boots are only about an inch or two above ground level. This is important for small grass seeds like orchard grass that can be blown around by the wind if the end of the drop is too high.

Here are a few photos of my Minneapolis Moline P3-6 grain drill that I restored last year (10 ft wide, 20 drops, single disc openers). I jacked it up and calibrated the fertilizer box for granulated fertilizer and oats.

DSCF0142 (Small).JPG

DSCF0184 (Small).JPG

DSCF0186 (Small).JPG

DSCF0189 (Small).JPG

DSCF0192 (Small).JPG

You'll probably have to do something like this to calibrate your drill. Also, you need to clean the cobwebs from the drop tubes and check that your feed cups are working properly and are not clogged.