Farmall A

/ Farmall A #1  

husqvarna

Tractor
John Deere 400 Backhoe Loader, 1945 Farmall A, 1941 Farmall H, eXmark 27HP Lazer Z
Just baught a Farmall A and I'm wondering how to tell the year. Where are the casting stamps to look for? I think the serial number tag is gone. I was told it's a 1948 but I want to be sure.

/ Farmall A #2  
I've restored several of the offset models. 2 A's, and a BN. As far as I know, the serial tag is located on the seat bracket attached to the transmission, is the only serial number location on them.

/ Farmall A #3  
I stand corrected of a second serial number location... Don't know what I was thinking...

Look on the right front corner of the block, just above the mag, or distributor drive. There is a flat boss just below the head with the serial number stamped there.

You may need to scrape the paint off to see it, if you haven't already found it.

/ Farmall A #4  
I never saw a second serial number on my old Farmall A; the only one was on the seat bracket.

My serial number indicated a 1941. I was able to look up the casting numbers on the tranny, torque tube, engine. They indicated Dec 1940 for casting, which figures about right for 1941 production/assembly.

I stand corrected of a second serial number location... Don't know what I was thinking...

Look on the right front corner of the block, just above the mag, or distributor drive. There is a flat boss just below the head with the serial number stamped there.

You may need to scrape the paint off to see it, if you haven't already found it.

/ Farmall A #5  
I am in the process of restoring what used to be my father's Super A. Although my original serial number plate is intact and I found the number there (indicating its a 1948 by serial number), during the restoration I discovered a manufacture date stamped on the top of the cylinder head.
08-17-48

/ Farmall A #6  
I am in the process of restoring what used to be my father's Super A. Although my original serial number plate is intact and I found the number there (indicating its a 1948 by serial number), during the restoration I discovered a manufacture date stamped on the top of the cylinder head.
08-17-48

I was searching online to trying to locate something that would tell me what year my Farmall A that I brought home today was made...the ser no. plate under the seat mount was missing and the guy told me it was a 1948....Having been misled on my 1948 H by the past owner ...He was convinced it was a 1940...I wanted to confirm the year of the A that my son and I drug home today myself...I ck鐡 on several sites to locate something I could use to identify the year without much luck as the casting numbers led me to believe the A was a 42...then I found this post and...Wamo...There It was behind the coil...just where its supposed to be...Thanks to All !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Farmall A #7  
:thumbsup:

/ Farmall A #8  
I just got an A, ---no tag either and have not had time to look for casting #'s yet !
On my Super A , the tag is under the seat and good tag! thanks; sonny580

/ Farmall A #9  
I just resently aquired my great grandfathers Farmall A.. y uncle said it was a 1948, but i think it is older. I can't find a serial number anywhere. The only thing I found was some casting numbers. I did find 3*8*J ( looks like a J ). is that the casting date? All the help would be appreciated

/ Farmall A #10  
this don't help ya but:

Farmall A (Includes AV)

Prefix Letters: A=FAA, AV=FAAV
SERIAL NUMBER.......................................YEAR
501 - 6743.........................................................1939
6744 - 41499.....................................................1940
41500 - 80738...................................................1941
80739 - 96389...................................................1942
no official production........................................1943
96390 - 113217..................................................1944
113218 - 146699................................................1945