McCormick CT28V Tractor

/ McCormick CT28V Tractor #1  

Roman Miller

I purchased a new McCormick CT28V tractor with an L102 Loader about six months ago, when I traded in my Ford 3600. Going from a 2 wheel drive to a 4 wheel drive has been delightful. The smaller McCormick is both a blessing and a curse! I miss the power of my other tractor, but I love the compact, small size that fits our little 19 acre farm much better.

Overall, I've been pleased with the purchase. However some engineering details on the tractor could be improved; some of the ruggedness and durability of my old Ford is not matched on the McCormick which has instead more frills and neat things. Four specific engineering things could easily be done to improve the tractor: (1) One of my early frustrations about the McCormick was its lack of a tool box! While that may appear to be a small thing, in my experience having a tractor without a tool box just isn't an option! My fix was to buy a small red tool box from Tractor Supply and bolt it to the top of the rear right fender where it fits nicely and is very convenient. (2) Another engineering frustration is the inability to fold down the rollover bar when I need to drive into my sheep barn to load manure. The only recourse is to totally remove the rollover bar when I'm hauling manure and then replace it. I've done that, but its a pain. (3) The brake set seems flimsy; thus far it holds the brake and tractor when I park it. But I worry that the somewhat flimsy bar that is supposed to lock the brake pedel will slip off. (The brakes themselves are great; much better than my Ford brakes!) (4) The single "joy-stick that controls the loader seemed a bit small and thin. The other day when pushing snow I managed to break it off. Obviously either I pushed the bar sideways too hard, or the bar was simply too fragile to hold up to consistent and repetitive use. (Maybe it was both.)
What I like is the ease of starting; the dependability thus far -- I have only about 125 hours on it. The tractor has a lot of pull for its small engine; the loader can lift a lot and if the back of the tractor is not weighed down, one has to be careful not to lift something heavy too high.

For me, the major selling points were that the dealer gave me a generous price for my old tractor (in the trade in) and then the balance due was 0% interest. That made the purchase less painful.

Prior to this purchase, I seriously considered a New Holland, Kaboda, and a MF as alternative choices. Would I buy this McCormick again? Probably so. I am disappointed that McCormick doesn't make a front-end blade that fits this loader. Having a front-end blade would make the job of pushing snow a lot easier.

I'd be very interested to hear the experiences of others who have opted to buy this tractor.

/ McCormick CT28V Tractor #2  
Hi Roman,

Thanks for joining... I've moved this thread from the new member forum to the McCormick forum where it will probably get more attention from McCormick owners.

/ McCormick CT28V Tractor #3  
Welcome to the forum Roman. I'm new myself and really appreciate equipment eviews like this as I will be making a purchase in a few months.
Enjoy the site and thanks again

/ McCormick CT28V Tractor #4  
Hi guys, The CTV28 is a value model, not that it's cheap, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the CT28 HST per say, like folding ROPS, and hydro trans.The construction is same though. you can compare them at
McCormick USA HOME ;)

/ McCormick CT28V Tractor #5  
dirthead is absolutely correct on the CTV28 as compared to the CT28. for most consumers a tractor is a major purchase for long term use, and while the V model is about $2000 less than the CT model. the added features for that dollar are significant. Substantial increase in hydralics power & function, 3 pt., FEL, dual remote valves, smoother 4 cylinder engine vs. V 3 cylinder,
universal quick attach bucket, 3 range, synchronized 4 speed transmission, with synchronized F-N-R shuttle. They are super smooth on-the-go shifters. The V model is 8X8 mechanical, which still competes favorably, within the category. The CT28 is also available with the 3 range Hydrostatic trans., as noted earlier. These added features are either optional or N/A on most all tractors in this HP range. As MCC stated, ckeck them out at mccormickusa.com; run specs. against the competition, do some comparitive pricing; and you will like the McCormick. I'm proud to be a dealer. And if you've got a reputable dealer in your area, he's not just trying to trade you up, he's tring to match the very best tractor, to your stated needs; and make you a satisfied McCormick owner, who will come back to him for all their industry needs, and also tell their friends.

/ McCormick CT28V Tractor #6  
Springhill, as a mc dealer how about helping me out? Go to the thread titled GX45 cracked frame. Give me an idea as to what to do. The local dealer has been somewhat helpful, but mc has said they have no idea. I know I can buy a new expensive frame to replace the poorly designed original frame. That is GREAT customer service:)
thanks

/ McCormick CT28V Tractor #7  
Springhill, as a mc dealer how about helping me out? Go to the thread titled GX45 cracked frame. Give me an idea as to what to do. The local dealer has been somewhat helpful, but mc has said they have no idea. I know I can buy a new expensive frame to replace the poorly designed original frame. That is GREAT customer service:)
thanks

I am thinking about buying a 2007 McCormick CT36M-4P are they hard to find parts for?