Super M Starter

/ Super M Starter #1  

sugargrovefarmer

Tractor
Farmall Super M
Hey Guys! Good Morning! I just purchased a Super M and the starter armature was turned down past the groves, The new brush assys are all making good contact, When I try to start it the brushes on opposite sides seem to try and weld to the surface, Will carefully re-grooving where the brushes touch fix the problem? All my cables have clean connections, The bushing around the positive post is also new, Any ideas Guys?

/ Super M Starter #2  
I am fighting a SM myself and cant get it to self start either!---Mine had a new starter put on before I got the tractor and it wont hardly turn over with new batt.,---so far I have not figured out the problem! thanks; sonny

/ Super M Starter #3  
Often times, battery cables have been replaced with lighter automotive gauge cables. These old girls require no less than 1/0-2/0 gauge cables. Most equipment dealer carry bulk cable, and ends to make up new ones.

If the cables are original, or the heavier gauge, and all connectors in good tight condition, then I'd be checking the starter switch. Many times the copper lugs get damaged from years of arcing. Some can be cleaned up, some need replaced.

You could probably check the starter onboard, by hooking jumper cables direct from battery to starter. Just make sure the tractor is in neutral, and brakes set. And double check to make sure. Don't need anyone getting ran over trying this.

If they are still original 6V system, just remember, they are positive ground.

/ Super M Starter
Hey Sonny! I,m still haveing issues myself, Several members recommended I needed to under cut the mica strips and I did so and the problem is still the same. I used the broken razor blade, It took a while. I used a razor blade to get the cut started, It made the saw blade stay within the grove, I,m thinking I did not remove enough so i,m going to remove a little more. It was recommended I remove about one millimeter. I,ve had several tractors and have never had this issue before. I,ll let you know how it works out and maybe the guys have another suggestion, They have all been very helpfull, A great bunch of dudes in my book of buddys.