McCormick 115 fuel pump trouble (only 500 hours) suggestions help!

/ McCormick 115 fuel pump trouble (only 500 hours) suggestions help! #1  

spidersmouse

Tractor
mccorm deutz same deere
Our McCormick 115 just out of warranty won't start. Cranks and cranks. Turn the key to acc position, and don't hear it trying to pump. Dealer said probably the pump. We just had problems with the PTO not working a month ago which turned out to be a computer issue (needed reset, dealer charged us 600 bucks to figure it out after I took him the trouble codes and fix I found on the internet). So I'm trying to trouble shoot this myself, as the dealer's techs have little experience fixing McCormicks (and they admit it). Bought a new fuel filter from the dealer thinking I'd change that (but they sold me the wrong one, have to go exchange it). My first thought is disconnect the battery, see if I can reset the computer. Don't see any trouble codes on the dash. Have used the fuel with other equipment, without trouble. FYI, the tractor started acting up a week earlier, it would take a minute of cranking to start. Then two minutes. Then more. And now it won't start. Would think a fuel pump would just fail suddenly, not over four start ups. Any suggestions appreciated.

/ McCormick 115 fuel pump trouble (only 500 hours) suggestions help!
Update: tried disconnecting battery, still cranks. Once in a while I can get it to start after extended cranking, but if you shut it off back to cranking and cranking. Exchanged fuel filter, still the wrong one. They sent a tech out to drop off the right filter, its the wrong filter. The dealership promised to have someone out here "first thing" with the right one, they haven't shown yet. Said that the book lists the wrong filters for our engine, they don't know why. Please, any suggestions we'll try it. If anyone knows of a tech who knows McCormick's new tractors in the southcentral Wisconsin area, please let me know-apparent that the dealership is clueless.

Update: so after four attempts, finally got the right fuel filter. Still not working. And the fuel filter and bowl didn't fill-dealer then said its the electronic fuel transfer pump-until closer inspection when we discovered this tractor doesn't have an electronic pump, its manually primed. Tech came out, said he thinks maybe its a fuel sensor, and he thinks there's three of them, but he doesn't know where any are located and the book doesn't show where they are. We can start it if we use ether. It runs fine once its started. Now the dealership wants to haul it in (our expense) and look it over (again our expense). They called McCormick and were told it sounds like a problem with a wire from a sensor. So I'm waiting for them to show up with their truck. I'll repost once this fiasco is over. Can say I'd never buy another McCormick. Not because of the tractor's problems, but because of the lack of technical support. One thing to have something go wrong, but the frustration of the dealership not having any idea of what to do is pissing me off.

so, its still in the shop. They have been talking with McCormick, have tried everything they can think of, still won't start (unless you use ether). Was told that Perkins (manufacturer of the engine) has proprietary software for reading their engines, which our dealer does not have. So they have someone from Perkins coming up to plug their computer into the tractor to try and figure it out.

Update OMG!!!!!! so all tests were negative for problems on McCormicks side so they hauled our tractor 40 miles to a Perkins dealer to put it on their computer. Perkins says the four fuel injectors are bad and need replacing at 800 PER INJECTOR! WTF! 514 hours and it needs injectors??? The dealer says there should be a longer warranty with the engine and is trying to negotiate with Perkins on our behalf. No way we can afford this fiasco. I recall looking at two identical tractors, this one brand new, and another with 700 hours but cheaper. Brother in law says, hey you'd be crazy not to buy new, then you won't have problems for years!!! And I'm still skeptical about the fix. The tractor starts if you use ether, and runs fine. So if the injectors are bad why does it run well??? Any thoughts out there??? I'm sick about this.

Happy ending. Dealership got McCormick to pay for the cost of the fuel injectors. Our cost is fairly small considering what could have been (labor). Hoping this is the end of our run of bad luck with this tractor.

/ McCormick 115 fuel pump trouble (only 500 hours) suggestions help! #7  
Sorry to hear of your problems but it sounds like a reasonable ending. Perkins has a good reputation for a long time, still cannot imagine injectors being bad in that amount of hours though. Hope that is the end of your problems! I have a McCormick C80L, so far so good!

/ McCormick 115 fuel pump trouble (only 500 hours) suggestions help! #8  
No location posted by the owner, but if this tractor was sold in the US the EPA mandates a 5 yr/3000hr warranty on the fuel system.

/ McCormick 115 fuel pump trouble (only 500 hours) suggestions help! #9  
RickB said:
No location posted by the owner, but if this tractor was sold in the US the EPA mandates a 5 yr/3000hr warranty on the fuel system.

He said south central Wisconsin.

RickB where can I get that info? I had never heard that about EPA. We are paying for labor, cost yet unknown but guessing it''l be around 500 bucks. If you've got info, love to have it.