Farmall identification help

/ Farmall identification help #1  

romoshka

Tractor
YANMAR 1600, Farmall 100
I am a tractor idiot (think Eddie Albert from Green Acres) but i am a competent machinic and a machinist. I am in possession of a McCormick Farmall 100 (at least that's whats on the engine cover). For reasons that i cant recall i made the assumption that it was an A but now i wonder and the more I try to solve this the confusier i get. The number on the right side of the engine is C123 (in raised letters cast into the block) followed by 28842 stamped in. On the left side, attached to the bell housing is an alum plate stamped 15732. J it looks like a period after the 2 but not sure. I have figured out that the J indicates a Rockford clutch. There are 2 faded dealer decals from Ontario but it now it resides in SC. If photos would help I can post. Thanks for any help.

/ Farmall identification help #2  
Your tractor is a Farmall 100 which were the follow-on to the Super A....You have a 123 cubic inch engine. Your serial # plate (the one on the bell housing) will tell you the year..go to tractordata.com and find your Farmall 100. Yes, you have a Rockford clutch (J)....do you have the one point hitch? OK, you didn't really ask a question, did you? What do you need to know? PS: the 100 was made for about 2 years, before the 130 came out in '57. Your 100 would be from 1955 or 1956. BobG in VA

/ Farmall identification help
Well heck...I guess I didn't ask a question. You did answer the intended question. Now I wonder about parts availability based on the rather limited production.

OK. Thank you. Now I know I have a 1956 100. Now how does one tell whether it is magneto or normal ignition? The tank is out being cleaned and sealed. The carb is out being rebuilt. The tranny has been drained of it pure water content but there does not appear to be and rust down deep...must a been enough oil to ****** the rust. The shifting mechanism however has suffered evaporative/condensation rust but a wire wheel, some sandpaper and some grease and it now functions well. Cylinders full of PB blaster have released the pistons and the engine turns over (via hand crank) now. Fresh oil and filter to be installed while waiting for carb to return. Hope the rings free up. May pull wheels and inspect bearings while waiting for carb and tank. Any other suggestions?

/ Farmall identification help #5  
Pretty sure you have a coil/distributor vs. a mag...if you see a "normal" looking distributor with the coil mounted above it and slightly forward of the dist., its a "normal" ignition....parts for these tractors are plentiful....lots of places to get them...NOW>>>>you need to move your thread to the "VINTAGE" tractor section below under FARMALL...you will get lots of help...as a matter of fact, I'm surprised I found you here....ALSO...where are the Pics??? If you don't show it...you don't have it...(grin)...good luck with it! Bobg in VA

Hey Bob, thanks for the help. How does one move a thread?

/ Farmall identification help #7  
I JUST BOUGHT A IH MODEL H SER# FBH324134X1 I WAS TOLD THAT THE X1 AT THE END IS EXPERMANTAL IS THAT CORECT I BELIEVE ITS IS A 1949 BUT NOT SURE