1946 W4 comes home.

/ 1946 W4 comes home. #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
My wife's father passed away before we ever met. He had been farming with equipment bought shortly after WW2 and never had the money to upgrade past the original purchases. After he passed away, most of the equipment faded into the woods. Some pieces got sold to collectors or scrap dealers. Some of the items that remained have since been fixed up by us, now that we have the farm, but a question that always stuck in my mind was, "I wonder what ever happened to the tractors?" I kind of figured they were the first things to be sold off.

Enter Elmer.

Elmer is my wife's foster brother. He grew up on this very farm and later, moved up the hill just a tad to build his own house. He raised his little family up there, did some farming and other self-employed jobs... kind of a free spirit. Anyway, just a couple months ago, Elmer came over for a visit. After some winsome reminiscing about growing up on the farm, helooked my wife in the eye and said, "I've got your father's tractor."
"Oh... Wow..." my wife exclaimed.
"It's yours."
"What? Where is it?"
"It's in my shed. The door's open."

Elmer was always a bit cryptic in the way he said things, but this was pretty direct for him. We kind of shrugged this off and thought he had just been drinking too much and would come back to his senses a bit after a good night's sleep. Funny thing is, every time he saw me since, he'd say, "Y'know, that tractor's still in my shed. The door's open."
"Am I supposed to just waltz in there and get it?"
"It up to you. The door's open."
After a couple months of this, we finally decided there was no way around it. We need to go get that tractor.

As it turns out, Elmer's shed is barely a mile away. Today, we threw some tools and chains in the truck, drove down to the shed and towed the old McCormick W4 home. we gave it the cursory inspection to see what it needs to run. The list includes: Generator, generator pulley, regulator, belts, free up a stuck clutch, seat spring and shock, and a few other odds and ends. Nothing we can't do.

After 30+ years of shedded slumber, it will be a joy to get the old girl running again, right back on the farm where she started.

Joe

Attachments

• 1019131647.jpg
    1019131647.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 873
  • 1019131647a.jpg
    1019131647a.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 1,005
   / 1946 W4 comes home. #2  
Great narrative -- thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on your progress.

I've had an occasional hankering to try tracking down the two AC tractors I grew up with -- a WD45 and a G. However, I soon come to the realization that my limited mechanical abilities would make any attempted restoration projects frustrating.

Steve

:

/ 1946 W4 comes home. #3  
Marveltone,

A W4's gear shift can be very snaky, meaning you are never quite sure if you are out of gear. So be EXTRA carefull and never let anyone stand in front of the tractor or tires thinking it is out of gear and letting the clutch out while the engine is running.

/ 1946 W4 comes home. #4  
Great to hear stories like this... thanks for posting!

In the 1930's my Grandfather sold new Plymouths. About 15 years ago I had a call on my answering machine asking if I was related to so and so.

I called back and said yes... and the person said he was clearing out some things from his Uncle's home and found this owner's manual with a handwritten note inside the cover from my Grandfather along with his business card.

Asked what he wanted to part with it and said I could have it... total stranger... it's great when some family history comes home.

/ 1946 W4 comes home. #5  
Sweet..!! A good winter project..!!

/ 1946 W4 comes home.
Marveltone,

A W4's gear shift can be very snaky, meaning you are never quite sure if you are out of gear. So be EXTRA carefull and never let anyone stand in front of the tractor or tires thinking it is out of gear and letting the clutch out while the engine is running.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Joe

/ 1946 W4 comes home.
Great to hear stories like this... thanks for posting!

In the 1930's my Grandfather sold new Plymouths. About 15 years ago I had a call on my answering machine asking if I was related to so and so.

I called back and said yes... and the person said he was clearing out some things from his Uncle's home and found this owner's manual with a handwritten note inside the cover from my Grandfather along with his business card.

Asked what he wanted to part with it and said I could have it... total stranger... it's great when some family history comes home.

Awesome story! Yes, it feels great when family history comes to life... and home.

Joe

/ 1946 W4 comes home. #8  
Nice old tractor homecoming!! I had two uncles who each had a W4 and eventually my family purchased a Super W4. It was these tractors that instilled in my mind that a single stage clutch is a poor choice for PTO work. I had trouble with the voltage regulators on my SW4 so I finally put on a GM alternator. Forgotten long ago how I did that, although I do remember cutting the battery box in two so a 12V battery would fit as the original battery was 6V.

/ 1946 W4 comes home. #9  
Great deal. Looks to be in good order for it's age. I have a 1947 W4 that doesn't have any electrics. They are great old tractors. I hope you have some great times with it

/ 1946 W4 comes home. #10  
That's awesome! I greatly value our family's old things. I gave up on tracking down/finding my grandfathers old AC model C......I would dearly love to have his old tractor!!