farmall c wont start

/ farmall c wont start #1  

aeastwoo

Tractor
farmall c
hi everyone newbie here i have a 53 farmall c ,starter wont crank engine over at all .just grunts and then nothing. battery charged full. had starter switch off and filed contacts still nothing.any suggestions. thanks.

/ farmall c wont start #2  
Start with the basics, are your cable connections good on both ends, make sure there isn't corrosion between the connector in the cable, as well as corrosion between the connector and the post or ground connectotion. Is the engine stuck? If you can turn the engine over. I would next pull the starter and make sure it's free and the brushes are good. If all that is good then you may have shorted winding stay in the starter. Good luck

/ farmall c wont start #3  
I'm assuming it is still the original 6V system. As mentioned, check your cable connections. Also, if the cables have been replaced with newer automotive type cables, like 4ga. cable, then that may be a lot of the problem. Replace them with no less than 1/0 cables. Makes a world of difference.

Some tractor dealerships can make custom cables, heavy truck parts places, and even a high performance shops may too. There are a few places online that have them also.

I also have a '53 Super C that I tolerated that problem for years, until this spring. Needed a new battery, so while I was at it, had NAPA make me a new set. They did not have 1/0 cable, only 2/0. Went with that. Pricey, but it makes that starter sing..!!

/ farmall c wont start #4  
:welcome: to TractorByNet!

Did you get it fixed?

/ farmall c wont start #5  
hi everyone newbie here i have a 53 farmall c ,starter wont crank engine over at all .just grunts and then nothing. battery charged full. had starter switch off and filed contacts still nothing.any suggestions. thanks.

If you haven't fixed it yet, try this: Take a 3/4" boxend wrench, loosen the 2 bolts holding the starter in to the flywheel...back them out about 1/3" or so, shake the starter,,, your bendix may be stuck on the flywheel... also if you have a handcrank, after you do the wrenching, turn the engine over a turn or so...should loosen up. BobG in VA

/ farmall c wont start #6  
If you haven't fixed it yet, try this: Take a 3/4" boxend wrench, loosen the 2 bolts holding the starter in to the flywheel...back them out about 1/3" or so, shake the starter,,, your bendix may be stuck on the flywheel... also if you have a handcrank, after you do the wrenching, turn the engine over a turn or so...should loosen up. BobG in VA

What BobG said This is a common on the letter series tractors.
Also IIRC these are grounded where the starter mates to the tractor. This area needs to be cleaned well. I ran a wire from the starter bolt to ground also for an extra ground

/ farmall c wont start
no its not fixed yet we've been getting a lot of dirty weather and tractor is outside. it is 12 volt . forgot to mention that. i'm leaning towards new battery but will try new cables first. also could try another starter off one of my other c', but the freezing rain has to stop first. till then i'll have to walk behind a snowblower.

/ farmall c wont start #8  
Watch this video, Starter Voltage Drop - YouTube and learn how to troubleshoot the problem. If you follow this procedure you will know exactly what the problem is.

Much better than throwing parts at it. :D

/ farmall c wont start
jan. 05 finally warmed up to -3 today. i replaced battery and put starter on from other tractor. at -15 this spun motor over quite fast but still no go. today at -3 tryed tractor and it started before motor rolled over once. plowed back snow banks for a couple of hours. i had taken the original starter and removed the pull switch ( as new battery didn't help it any) . i then removed the battery cable bolt from switch and cut it down so the flat of the head fit neatly to the contact on the starter. i put this starter back on the tractor today and tryed this direct contact.works beautifully. all i need now is key switch to wire up to a solonoid. problem all along appears to be the contacts in the pull switch.thanks for all the input.