B-414 engine problem

/ B-414 engine problem #1  

French smallholder

Tractor
Mc Cormick B-414
Hi
I have just registered with this forum and would very much appreciate advice on a problem that I have with an old Mc Cormick B-414. The tractor was running fine all morning and then it seemed to hesitate a couple of times and then the engine just stopped .

When I tried to start the engine it seemed very difficult to turn and I stopped immediately. After letting the engine go cold I tried again. This time the engine turned very freely (more so than normal) but did not fire.

I checked oil and water...all ok. I then noticed that the oil filter had the date 1990 on it...so I changed this.

I have just tried to start the engine again but it will not fire. There is, however white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I checked the water again and noticed that there was a grey deposit in the water. I immediately thought that it could be a cylinder head gasket problem. However the water level was normal so I do not think that is the problem.

Has anybody got any ideas please.

Thanks for reading this.

/ B-414 engine problem #2  
Gas or diesel?
Check the fuel system for clogged filters, loose connections.

Good luck

/ B-414 engine problem #4  
Did it overheat?

/ B-414 engine problem
Hi
No it did not overheat. I could put my finger in the radiator and it was hot but certainly no hotter than normal running temperature.]

/ B-414 engine problem #6  
White smoke when cranking a Diesel is an idication you have fuel, but the easy cranking could point to a timing issue or a loss of compression. If the engine cranks uniformly but too easy then timing could be the problem.