McCormick Backwards Tractor

/ McCormick Backwards Tractor #1  

DAP

Veteran Member
From Orange County NY to Lincoln County ME
Tractor
JD LX288 and a B7800
The other day, I spied at an Agco dealer a old machine.

It was a large farm tractor, only it was 'backwards'.

The front of the tractor (as determined by the direction of the steering wheel, seat and instruments) was the end where the large wheels are. It had a forklift on what would be the 3pt hitch PTO location on a 'normal' tractor.

I looked for a pic on the net but couldn't find one.

Anyone know stuff about these machines? Big yellow machine. Guy said it was McCormick.

/ McCormick Backwards Tractor #2  
I'm not familiar with that specific model.. but there were lots of forklift conversions of old tractors back in the day... I've seen lots of 8n forklifts.. complete with reversed steering and backwards seat.

Soundguy

/ McCormick Backwards Tractor #3  
That's right, all kinds of allis's and masseys around these parts that are used. Apple orchards in this area are where most can be found, ideal for travelling and carry a good sized box.

/ McCormick Backwards Tractor
So odd it was. This one had the twin tires in the front like an old JD B series.

I imagine it wasn't the most stable rig under loads at height.

/ McCormick Backwards Tractor #5  
Like was said, several manufactures have made forklifts like that. The first MFs were modified tractors and looked like it. The later MFs didn't look anything like a tractor, but used a similar chassis. I liked the differential lock of the later ones, it was like a shift lever that came up by you right leg. The were sometimes refereed to as rough terrain forklifts. There are still a lot of them in use, in this area, moving logs at saw mills. Another popular brand was Winham.

/ McCormick Backwards Tractor #6  
I ve seen a few like that as loaders, forklifts,cotton pickers. Even saw an old one with a backhoe on it. Ive got a friend that bought an H Farmall at an auction it ran and moved forwards. He bought it for 500 bucks and got on it and put it in 3rd gear and it ran backwards. Later we found out it had been an old cotton picker the seller had put the normal H seat on and steering wheel. Its now a forklift. AC made its first Tractomotive loaders the same way. Bumble bee also used a Farmall B for a mini pre skidsteer loader in cotton gins and construction sites.

/ McCormick Backwards Tractor #7  
Years ago even tractor loader backhoes were put together in the dealer yards from pieces just like the forklift you saw. Harlo is one we used to install on tractors for the forklift. We still have a 340 with one installed on it.

/ McCormick Backwards Tractor #8  
Are you talking about what I am planning to purchase ...the McCormick Tele Trac. Yes a telehandler with 3pl and PTO and reversible seat!! In stead of a grand mower like Antonio Carraro TRX that snaps the transmission casing according to many like rangerdave.

/ McCormick Backwards Tractor #9  
Perhaps you refer to bidirectional tractors made by McCormick, Carrarro, Ferrari, New Holland, and some other European manufacturers. A great idea that hasn't completely made it to America, nor has been fully realized in engineering. New Holland's is nice, but 18,000 lbs. Carraros are nifty but expensive and too small in the driver's compartment for people over 6' tall.