Buying Advice Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub

/ Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub #1  

jdmar

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5425 & 4300, Yanmar 1500
I am looking at two of these available and would appreciate any insight\suggestions:
1. A 1949 (guy thinks 1947 but #s say '49) McCormick Deering era Cub with sickle bar and belly mower. runs OK, oozes a little fluid here and there, was rebuilt with aluminum pistons per him in about 1980 (unknown if bored or just honed). descent sheet metal without dents, tired but usable AG tires. It all works but looks like it is about ready for a teardown and rebuild someday soon

2 A 1964 (? accuracy) International Cub Lowboy with belly mower and front blade, runs OK, leaks a little less fluids, not quite as good but still descent sheet metal, turf tires also still usable.

Both have hydraulic lift.
I like the AG tires and sickle bar but the guys thinks he has a first model year tractor and I doubt will deal as much(I will try to "show him the light"). I just want it for fun, to rebuild with my boys, tinker with...but would actually use the sickle bar mower. Any estimate on fair price in Ohio, things to consider/look for? Thanks for any advice! BY the way, he is asking about $2400 for each which seems a bit high after an Ebay search but maybe I am off??
Peter

/ Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub #2  
I have a '64 Lo-Boy with a deck mower (was my main lawn machine) and a front blade. I move a lot of snow with truf tires and chains. Great little tractor. You might check over at the Farmall Cub Bulletin Board. I've gotten some good information/advice there.

/ Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub
I just started looking through the sight....WOW! a ton of info there. They even have copies of manuals, etc. There will be a ton of info for tearing down and restoriing one of these great little tractors....now I have to see if I even buy one! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Peter

/ Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub #4  
I've never bought or sold a cub in Ohio, but in central NC, it would have to be a nice one with cultivators and more equipment to bring 2400.00 I was offered a lowboy with the factory 3 point hitch and belly mower for 2000.00 this spring and it was pretty nice. HTH, latter, Nat

/ Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub #5  
Cubs always seem to fetch a little more money. Maybe because more people could use a small tractor? I will tell you one thing for a fact: Cubs have Continental engines in them. Continental = $$$. I am partial to Cubs since a '47 was my Dad's first tractor, but a nice Super "A" might be a better machine. I am not trying to tell you what to do, but I just wanted to pass on a little friendly advice. IHC made a pile of Cubs mind you and they are GREAT. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub #6  
2400 in florida got me a 1966 ih cub.. front blade, hyd lift, belly mower. fresh paint.. rebuilt carb.. no leaks.. easy starting.

I'd go for the best condition one,and see about trading back/ buying the sickle bar mower if that is what you wanted. As you point out.. one problem with cub rebuilds is the no sleave issue.. unless you have it custom machined.. it's just OS rings.. etc...

leaks are a apin in the but if it is a radiator issue.. cast bottom and core are a real weird deal... don't know what the engineers were thinking on that one..

Soundguy

Soundguy

/ Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub
I just found a sight (?tractorparts.com) that has complete engine rebuild kits with various size bearing and piston sizes for $499...about the same as the other farmalls...they weren't outrageous on radiators, grills, various parts either...I was surprised.

I really appreciate the idea of an A or more recent Super A...they are great tractors too. I just like to small size of the cubs...and my wife likes 'em too so I have her approval...VERY important if I get a project tractor. I wil let you know what happens...I got get over there when the guy is home to spend a little seat time and see how they really run so I can make my decision. I really appreciate the help everyone.
Peter

/ Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub #8  
Can you give more detail about the Continental engine? I have never heard this, or read of it in all the Farmall stuff I have.

From what I have read, International made most all of thier engines, at least for the Cub and "letter" series.

/ Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub #9  
Browse YT Mag for some good info. They have lots of good data, as well as a good parts availability. Plus they have classifieds.

If you do look at "A"s, remember an A will probably lack any hydraulics; a Super-A would have them... ATIS has some good info too.

/ Need advice on McCormick Deering/Farmall Cub #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( just found a sight (?tractorparts.com) )</font>

I've bought quite a few parts from tractorpart.com

They aren't real fast.. but they do send you pretty good stuff.

Many of my allis-G parts came from them.

Soundguy