Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

Default Re: New S470d owner here

I'm going to have to look at mine before I can give a decent answer now. I do remember that funky bolt though. I think that is so you can use the hex part of it to tighten down the gooseneck. Then the air filter housing is attached to the threads on top of the hex. I have a new bolt laying around waiting for the next time. I remember using a longer bolt and some spacers under the air filter housing. Right now its not leaking so I'm not going to bother it. Let me look at mine this afternoon. I'm sure you can get one of those bolts from Bill or Len. I recommend using anti-sieze on the bolt threads when you re-assemble.
    Last edited by oliver28472; 06-06-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    198? Satoh Buck S470d

The Thermostat does lay horizontal. Whew. I shouldn't have to take off that portion that attached to the head/block.

I'm going to have a kubota dealer up the street take off the broken bolt, and determine if the new bolts will work in the block threads. The bolt threads to the one I got out look horrible. They're really shallow, and very worn down. They may have to re-coil the bolt holes, and put in bigger ones to close up the thermostat housing. I'm thinking the job is a little too big for me.
    198? S470D Satoh Buck

Gold Member

if u had a tap set u may be able to retap the holes and use new bolts.the thermostat bolts corrode out over time.u gave it a good shot u know where to stop.good luck.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    198? Satoh Buck S470d

Those pictures I promsied. I should be able to get the tractor in to the shop Monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    198? S470D Satoh Buck

Veteran Member
    Tractor

I don't think I've had that piece off. Just the one it's bolted to, that bolts to the head. If you take that one off get ready for more of the same. You may want to try the heat and wax trick to begin with. Good luck.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    198? Satoh Buck S470d

They got the bolt out. The block threading was OK, and took the new housing bolts just fine. The shop put the thermostat, gasket and bolts back together for me, and said it looked real good. They just heated up the bolt, and worked it out. No drilling or new threading. Whew.
    I may even have it back tonight from the shop. Now for re-assembly!

I'll post some pictures of the before and after repair later, after it's put all back together. I took some time while it was down to clean off some of the gunk off the frame, motor, etc, so I found it's actually painted blue under all that gunk! I re-sprayed the muffler guard and front grill, and used about a half bottle of Simple Green degreaser to get all that caked on grease/funk off of most of the tractor.

I do have a question: I have heard of two different types of hydraulic fluid should be used for the tranny/hydraulic. I went with what the sticker on the gas tank and my manual said: 80w90 gear oil. $50 for a 5 gallon drum at NAPA. Now I'm finding that I might should've used Tractor/Farm hydraulic transmission oil instead. what did you guys use, and did anyone have problems w/ 80w90 in the transmission? Should I worry about it?
    198? S470D Satoh Buck

Veteran Member
    Tractor

I'll repeat what Bill has said. If you are using any attachments that have hydraulic cylinders (front end loader, back hoe, etc.) then use the transmission hydraulic oil. If no hydraulic attachments use what you bought. I don't have any hydraulic attachments and have used the transmission hydraulic oil (JD 303 equivalent) for years w/o any problems. I run the heavier stuff in the front axle.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    198? Satoh Buck S470d

Some picture of the buck before the repair, and during the teardown.
    198? S470D Satoh Buck

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    198? Satoh Buck S470d

And the after pictures.
    198? S470D Satoh Buck

Gold Member

nice job on the tractor.glad u got it all fixed up. now u can tell us how well it works.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast