New S470d owner here

/ New S470d owner here #1  

eightksi

Bronze Member
Tractor
198? Satoh Buck S470d
I'm a new Satoh owner, and wanted to drop in and say hello.

Picked up a nice used Satoh Buck S470d a couple weeks ago. 540 hours. Super heavy duty 5-foot rear Ro-Tech Master finish mower. Real good mechanical condition, but it needed basically all kinds of maintenance, since none had been done to it in years. I used two and a half tubes with my small grease gun on the zerks for the mower's 3 spindles, the steering, knuckles, pedals, etc.

Engine oil, front and rear trans/hydraulic fluid, battery, mower belts were all completely shot, and replaced.
The worst part: I overheated a little after running for an hour.
The cooling system was terrible: radiator fins plugged, terrible flow, hoses bad. Tore it down, flushed block and radiator. Blew out tons of junk from the radiator fins with my compressor, had the rad flushed/cleaned by a rad shop.

Now, I'm just waiting for the replacement hoses (and the missing thermostat) to ship to me from Valley Power (satohparts.com). Good guys, and I will definitely use them whenever I need parts, which I'm sure I will again! I'll put the whole front end back together, fill it up w/coolant mix, and I should be ready to go!
It was stored inside and rarely used, but they just didn't do any maintenance on it, especially any fluid changes or greasing. I doubt the motor has any damage: doesn't seem to lose coolant, and the only smoke from it is just the black diesel smoke when I throttle up, or start it up. No white smoke. I had put some Diesel fuel system cleaner in it before the cooling problems started, and I think it ran even smoother.

I'll attach a before pic, then an after pic in a few days, or however long it takes to get it back in commission. I degreased some of the frame and other parts, while I was draining out fluids, so it is starting to look a little better. The price was really good, so I don't mind some of this overdue maintenance work I'm doing to it. Paid $2600 for the tractor, mower, Diesel can, and a couple manuals. If I get selfish, I may even buy a nicer replacement seat.

Attachments

• May 7 -07 055-small.jpg
    May 7 -07 055-small.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 982
  • May 7 -07 056-small.jpg
    May 7 -07 056-small.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,088
  • May 7 -07 057-small.jpg
    May 7 -07 057-small.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 932
   / New S470d owner here #2  
Heck of a deal! I've got a Buck that my Dad bought new. It has been through the ringer and is a lot rougher than yours but still does what I need. Starts good, etc. My radiator has a few tubes soldered shut due to being damaged after being rolled on 3 separate occasions. The Buck will do better with a 48" mower if you can trade for one. I found a pretty good used Woods last spring for $240.00. My mower stays hooked to my Mits 1450D which is the same tractor with a smaller engine. Welcome to TBN.

/ New S470d owner here
I agree on the mower size. First, a five-foot is probably too much for the Buck, but what makes it much worse is its weight and design. Holy cow, is it HEAVY! Plus, it doesn't have fron caster wheels, so a lot of that bulk is now hanging on check chains from the top link hitch pin on the back of the tractor. They hadn't used check chains at all before I put them on, so all that weight was on the hitch arms. Not good. You can see how the vertical hitch 'bolts' have bent some from the weight.

I will look out for a four-footer, especially one with front and rear caster wheels so I can just pull it behind me, instead of it hanging off the back!

/ New S470d owner here #4  
My Woods just has them on the back. It's not terribly heavy and is a good match. When you get a mower with caster on front and back, it put the mower further away from the back of the tractor. This is a negative effect because it takes more room to turn. I tried a 5' with four casters one time. It was a new Bush Hog brand and did a great job of mowing. When I turned sharp at mowing speed the heavy deck would fishtail the tractor and the mower ran into stuff that I missed with the Woods while turning.

/ New S470d owner here
So, what is really the difference between the Buck and the Beaver, other than the Buck's engine being a 3-cylinder?

It looks bigger to me, but I've never seen them side by side. The rear tires look bigger to me.

/ New S470d owner here #6  
Let me see if I can get this right. The S-370 is a Beaver with 2 cylinder engine. It has a backwards turning pto. The 372 is a Beaver II with 2 cylinder engine and correct pto, supposedly a completely different (newer) tractor. The 373 is the 3 cylinder Beaver III, otherwise very similar to Beaver II. The Buck I beleive was made throughout all of the Beavers and does have more CCs than the 3 cylinder Beaver III. When I bought my manuals for my Buck, they also covered the Beaver III. The Beaver III has 776 CCs and the Buck has 849 CCs. The 370 and 372 both have 669 CC.

/ New S470d owner here
Oh no.

I was removing the thermostat housing as the last part to take off for putting a thermostat back in. The left bolt came out OK, just really slow. The right bolt -- snap. It turned about a half turn, then snapped right off, with very little pressure onto it. So now, I have a bolt sheared off sticking out of the block.
I am hitting it with penetrating oil, and the PLAN was to let it soak for a few days, then try the two-nut trick on it, since there's about a half-inch of threaded bolt sticking out. (screw on two nuts, and tighten, loosen them gently with a wrench in hopes I could screw it out) I came home last night to find someone who was trying to help out had stripped all the threading off the bolt with vice grips. I'm done. The whole easy-out, left-hand thread drill bit stuff just throws off lots of warning flags to me, so I won't do that. I'm on a waiting list to get the tractor in to a Kubota dealer just up the road from me to get it removed. It will be at least another week. They said it's a pretty easy procedure for them, since they do it so often, and would either easily remove it, or just cut it out and re-thread and re-bolt it if they had to. Either way, they will remove, insert the thermostat and re-attach the housing. They, just like everybody else, are totally booked solid with repair jobs.

I mean this literally: THAT WAS THE LAST BOLT I HAD TO REMOVE ON THIS REPAIR JOB!!!!!!

I just got all my replacement parts in the mail yesterday.

:(

/ New S470d owner here #8  
My Buck don't like to turn loose of it's bolts either. One in the water pump and one like yours on the thermostat. Water pump bolt came out OK. The thermostat bolt broke almost flush. Easy outs can't be trusted here. I just drilled and rethreaded. It may be a bit off center but no leaks. In your case if you still have the 1/2" sticking out, you can try heating the area pretty good and let some candle wax melt down into the threads. Then try the vice grips. If you have a welder, weld an oversized nut on and screw it out.

/ New S470d owner here
Since you are painfully familiar with this repair job I'm doing, I want to ask you a couple questions:

Since there isn't an old thermostat to pull out or reference exactly where the new one should go, I'm assuming that the thermostat will lay horizontal between the two parts of the gooseneck? I also got a gasket with the thermostat, and it looks like that is where this should go. Am I right?

Here's why I ask: there is one more part to the gooseneck or housing that may or may not be part of the head. It has one regular 12mm vertical bolt and another weird threaded bolt with a long 'hex' nut - it's long-like an inch. Those two bolts to the other piece are totally corroded, and that threaded stud bolt is in bad shape too. I really do not want to have to take that off. I really think it should sit in between those two gooseneck pieces, but it's better to ask, I guess... And I thought it was weird that a thermostat would lay horizontal.

Will attach pics later of the disaster area, in case this description makes absolutely no sense.

/ New S470d owner here #10  
i agree with the heating of the bolt to have it removed. use a good blow torch to get it red and use a vise grip to remove. exactly where the thermostat goes i dont know but u could give bill a call at www.satoh parts .com and i am sure he will help u.