Mowing Anyone use a belly mower with Mits?

/ Anyone use a belly mower with Mits? #1  

BTackett

Gold Member
I am entertaining the thought at this moment. He is the situation.
I bought the MT372 2wd tractor and now torn it down to chassis and re-painting hood/fenders and other things along with the chassis. I really want to use this thing a lot so I am thinking of different attachments and projects I can get done.
Here is my situation. I have a 2002 Exmark hydro walk behind with 48 in cut w 17hp Kawisaki that I mow my 4 acres with during the summer. Would it be feasable to sell the hydro and put either a belly mower or 3 pt finish mower on the Mitsu MT372? I can get a 3pt 60" finish deck for about a grand. That would leave me with enough cash to get lawn roller, aerator, etc to get my lawn back to normal and maintain.
I have never used either one to mow with but would certainly like to get a wider cut and sit down while mowing for a change.
What size belly or 3pt deck can this mower turn at correct rpms? 60 inch, 72 inch and also do I have to have a Mitsubishi belly deck or will others adapt?
How do they raise up/down? Should I use a 3 pt so when one of these days that I buy another compact tractor I will have the deck? What about mowing closer around house, objects . Which is better? Belly or 3pt? I am new to compact tractors and mowing decks.
Everyone chime in on this that has used mowing decks and give me your honest opinion. Now is the time to buy decks and I can sell my Exmark when spring is here to get the most out of it.
:)

Sorry for all the questions but I didn't want to have to add to this thread 10 times.

Thanks ,
Bill

/ Anyone use a belly mower with Mits? #2  
I run a Woods 48" belly mower under my MT372D. I don't think Woods makes that model any more. (They make the deck, but probably not the attachment stuff). Mine runs off an electric clutch off the front engine crank. Lays down a great cut.
I thought I read here somewhere that "Lens" had a belly mower (not Woods) availlable. There is a new Haban mower on E-Bay for your tractor but I think they are out of business, so you wouldn't be able to get parts.
A rear finish is your best bet. I don't like them (matter of preference). I would not suggest anything bigger then 48" for this tractor.

/ Anyone use a belly mower with Mits? #3  
A couple of thoughts: I have a tractor just like yours which I bought for another purpose, it has a 5' belly mower with the front electric pto. It(the mower, not the tractor) could be yours if the price is right!($ 750.00 you pick up, MD). If you put a mower on the back of any CUT, its like painting a ceiling, you can do it, but your neck sure gets sore! The other thing about the standard mitsubishi belly mower for this tractor, is that it runs backwards from the standard right discharge mowers. Nothing wrong with that, but its just different! PM me if you want details on the mower package, Dave:)

/ Anyone use a belly mower with Mits? #4  
I run a 42" bush hog behind my 372. I had a 60" rear dicharge RFM that gave a great cut that I ran behind a Kubota B7500 that was only 16 PTO hp which is 2 more than the 372.

You can find a RFM anywhere and the parts to fix it but when it comes to a belly mower for the 372 then it's going to get a little complicated.

If your 4 acres is open then a RFM would be real easy to deal with.

/ Anyone use a belly mower with Mits?
The RFM would make better sense for availability of parts and dropping/hooking up. I could also make a stainless roller for it to stripe my yard with. I have a striping kit on my Exmark now and really like the look.

My neighbor is trying to buy my Mitsu now. Every since I brought it home, he wants it. He used to have an Iseki and loved it. I told him no sale on it several times.

I bet within a month I come home and he has another CUT in his driveway. :)

Its nice to have good neighbors.

Bill

What is a good make of RFM's? I see Farm pro 60" for about $699 and others for $899. I know Woods is probably the best, I dont' want air wheels for risk of flats. I also want something easily adjustable in height.

What about turning? Is it impossible to stripe your yard? That seems like it would require a lot of F-Reverse stick motion.

Bill

/ Anyone use a belly mower with Mits? #7  
I use a Woods RM-48 on my Mitsubishi D1450, which basically is a grey 373. I tried a Bush Hog 60" rear discharge and it did a better mowing job but it was way too heavy and stuck out so far behind the tractor it was tearing up whatever I tried to mow around. The Woods RM-48 has no front wheels, just check chains. It has rear caster wheels that are hard rubber. By not having the front wheels it fits closer to the rear tractor tires. It does a fair job if you are not in a hurry. In thick grass you have to slow down or not all the grass will get cut. This mower has no gear box but uses one belt and it is long! Woods also made the RM-400 which is a 48" with a gear box. I'm looking for one of those.

/ Anyone use a belly mower with Mits? #8  
If you have TSC locally, I bought a 72" rear discharge King Kutter that works well for me for around $1400 last summer. There are tons of better RFM's out there but for the price, I am very happy with mine. I think my tractor is 22 hp at the pto. They sell a 48" and a 60", I prefer the rear dicharge myself because it doesn't leave windrows of grass.

/ Anyone use a belly mower with Mits? #9  
Whichever brand you get I recommend a rear discharge for no windrows and no darn discharge chute to worry about banging on something.

Does the rear discharge leave a good cut? I would probably like to add a roller to the rear to stripe the lawn and wondering if it will affect the look.

Bill