Steering gear sloppy on Mit MT372

/ Steering gear sloppy on Mit MT372 #1  

BTackett

Gold Member
Hello all. I am stipping down the 372 for new chassis paint and while I have it apart trying to figure a few things out.

1. I have a block heater installed in the freeze plug but no cord. Where can you get a cord? It is a 3 prong curve plug.

2. Steering is sloppy. I don't see an adjustment screw anywhere to tighten. Any suggestions?

3. Fuel cap replacement? Who makes one to fit?

4. Fuel filter/shutoff. Does anyone make a replacement with a water drain at the bottom that I can swap with the original?

thanks everyone in advance.:)

Bill

/ Steering gear sloppy on Mit MT372 #2  
Can supply one answer:

Fuel filler cap:
Kinda looks like a radiator cap?

The KUBOTA part no is:6721141340
and the cost in Cdn $ was $8.63

Make it 2

The heater cord (3 prong) is a standard block heater cord and should be available at any auto parts.(maybe even Wally-mart)

/ Steering gear sloppy on Mit MT372
Thanks.
The fuel cap is round and has Japenese writing on it.

Bill

/ Steering gear sloppy on Mit MT372 #4  
BTackett said:
Thanks.
The fuel cap is round and has Japenese writing on it.

Bill

So does mine....what does it mean:)

I'm sorry I couldn't help it:)

Mine gets residual fuel on top of the tank like a smear but nothing I am gonna worry about.

it means..... deizel fule only :D

LOL

I really don't know what it means. It is just funny that its there.

Wushaw, have you ever tightned up your steering column? I cannot find an adjustment screw like shown in the manual. If I am going to pull a RFM I don't need wondering on the wheel.

Bill

/ Steering gear sloppy on Mit MT372 #6  
I looked at your degreaser pictures and see your steering box.
A few questions regarding the slop you would like to eliminate.

1:Is the slop is the pitman arm shaft moving left and right in the box when the wheel is turned? (this is where I believe some boxes are adjustable)

2:Is the slop up and down in the steering wheel shaft when the wheel is turned? (if so the bearings need to be replaced.)

3:Is the slop in the tie rods and axle pivot? (the axle pivot is shimed and without this shim can create alot of slop)

/ Steering gear sloppy on Mit MT372 #7  
There should be a freeplay adjustment screw inside the steering box under the plate on the right side of the steering box.

wushaw said:
Mine gets residual fuel on top of the tank like a smear but nothing I am gonna worry about.
When I got my tractor about 5 years ago, the first thing I noticed was that the cap leaked fuel and made a mess on top of the tank. I was looking for a quick fix and cut out a "gasket" from cardboard and put it in the cap and hoped it would get me through about 1/2 hour of mowing on a side hill with a full tank. 6oo+ hrs later, I'm still using that cardboard gasket. I've thought about replacing it with cork or rubber but then I ask myself why bother, it's worked perfectly for this long

I can turn the wheel between about 10 and 3 o'clock position before the vertical pitman arm starts to turn. I really don't have any up/down motion, just left/right. I will remove the cover on the right side and see if there is an adjustment that can be made.

I figured out on the fuel cap, I had some cork gasket and will cut a round piece and put in cap to see if this stops it.

thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards the rear finish mower but have found a New old stock Haben 60 mower in N.C. for less than a grand. It is a belly mower that works off a belt from a rear PTO adapter. I am just not sure about getting parts for it. They say since Haben went out of business you cannot find parts.

Bill

/ Steering gear sloppy on Mit MT372 #9  
I don't have the freeplay like yours does so I haven't had to try to adjust mine.

/ Steering gear sloppy on Mit MT372 #10  
I believe the adjustment would be visible from your photos. Your shaft may have worn the shims away. Or they may have been left out when a previous owner had it apart. If all this play is due to the shaft traveling left or right you may be able to shim the shaft back tight. My book says the shaft should have .1mm left to right end play. It sounds as if yours has a little more than that. The book shows shims on both sides of the shaft. Maybe you could get away with only shimming the plate side? The book says to use a combination of shims .1mm,.2mm, or.3mm thick on both sides to eliminate excessive endplay.