Bad S-650G Hydraulic Pump?

/ Bad S-650G Hydraulic Pump? #1  

trfcrx7

Tractor
Case 380CK Construction King, Satoh S-650G
I have a Satoh S-650G. I inherited it from my father, who had meant to fix the hydraulic pump prior to giving it to me. At that time, the hydraulics would only work at high rpm (over 2500). I had the hydraulic pump fixed by my mechanic, who welded and machined the pump input shaft, reattached the rectangular connecting blocks, and cleaned out the hydraulic system. It worked great, until I used the front end loader to lift some heavy rocks. Now, no hydraulics. I have enough hydraulic fluid, and I checked the input shaft. Connecting blocks were not rounded off, and neither is the pump input shaft. Is the pump broken again, or could it be something else? Any help is appreciated. I'm ready to buy a pump, but don't want to if not necessary. On a side note, is there some way to tell what year the tractor is? The Serial No. is 200322, which I think is an early model. My mother thinks Dad bought it in the early or mid 60's.
Thanks again.

Brad.

/ Bad S-650G Hydraulic Pump? #2  
<font color=blue>...were not rounded off, and neither is the pump input shaft...</font color=blue>

Funny you asked... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Well... not exactly funny either... I have a S650G also and my hydraulic pump has the exact same problem with the output gear shaft rounded off... I'm currently trying to obtain a replacement gear set (in pairs) because the whole pump assembly is about $1394...

(I'm curious...how did your mechanic repair the rounded end on yours... did he disassemble the pump and then weld on the end of the shaft... or did he spot weld the shaft fully assembled...?)

Since this is not a common "off the shelf part", they got you by the crouch of your pants...

Another avenue I'm exploring is retrofitting another pump in its place with greater capacity...

My problem was obvious, so I didn't have to measure hydraulic pressure... but I believe you can "tap" a gauge easily into a capped port under the seat next to the pressure side coming from the pump.

I'm at work, so I don't have my manual here to give you a better answer...

If you come across an aftermarket pump in your travels that will work... please let me know... (and vice versa)

I've talked to a number of ex-dealers and no one seems to have any "serial number" date production list on this unit... Satoh opened up an office in the US in '68 or '69 about the same time as Kubota... I think this S650G had a real long production run from 1972-1989...

Good luck... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Bad S-650G Hydraulic Pump? #3  
I have a S650G also, it's a great machine. When I had hydralic trouble, it was the cupler between the engine and the pump. Had new blocks made. I would take the old pump off and have it check out again to see if it is the problem before get getting a new one. I thought it was my pump that was bad, but when I put it in the vise and turned the shaft, it work so I started looking elsewhere.

/ Bad S-650G Hydraulic Pump? #4  
The S-650G originally dates from at least the early 1960s. At a car swap meet in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, one literature vendor who regularly appears at these meets has had a brochure for this tractor in English dating from about 1964-1965. No telling when this model was first officially imported here, though.

/ Bad S-650G Hydraulic Pump? #5  
<font color=blue>...has had a brochure for this tractor in English dating from about 1964-1965...</font color=blue>

Hi Ed...

I would love to get a copy of this piece of history...

Can you email it to me...? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Bad S-650G Hydraulic Pump? #6  
Unfortunately, I didn't get this old brochure. I took a good look at it 2-3 times. Next time I see that vendor I might get it, but he wanted a little too much for it in my view at the time.

/ Bad S-650G Hydraulic Pump? #7  
Be aware that you can eat a new pump up pretty quick if you haven't done a good job of aligning it, and their is no good way I ever found to do an accurate job of aligning. I would seriously look at a different pump along with a "Lovejoy" or other type of more flexible coupling. Actually, I'm suprised by now that no one has come up with a retrofit kit as it sounds like sooner or later every Satoh owner is confronted with a bad pump.

/ Bad S-650G Hydraulic Pump? #8  
Hi Duane...

I'm currently working on a new replacement pump for the Satoh S650G...

Now if I can interest some people in a quantity order... may bring the price down to under $450... NEW! (or lower...) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Bad S-650G Hydraulic Pump? #10  
Hello Bill,

No, I'm not talking a "rebuild kit"... I mean a whole brand new hydraulic pump with a greater flow output for under $450.

The rebuild kit for this pump should run under $150. or less... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG