Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 5200 2 wd

Default Satoh 650 G engine repair or re-power

I was given a complete 650 G by a friend who said it had a rod knock. It turns over fine.
    Has any one ever able to get such as gaskets, bearings etc. from an auto parts store or had bearings cross referenced? Has any one ever put a different brand of motor in?
    Is it worth fixing as parts seem expensive? Or is it better to part out?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Paul

Silver Member

Default Re: Satoh 650 G engine repair or re-power

Quote Originally Posted by builder2
    I was given a complete 650 G by a friend who said it had a rod knock. It turns over fine.
    Has any one ever able to get such as gaskets, bearings etc. from an auto parts store or had bearings cross referenced? Has any one ever put a different brand of motor in?
    Is it worth fixing as parts seem expensive? Or is it better to part out?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Paul
    Make sure it is actually a rod first...People jump to conclusions too quickly when it comes to tractor noises. If it is, then check the compression. If it is good, pull the engine, drop the pan and the bearing caps. See what is going on and move forward in a frugal manner. There is always the chance that you can simply replace the bad bearing and reassemble. Even if the crank shows some light score crocus cloth can work miracles!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 5200 2 wd

Default Re: Satoh 650 G engine repair or re-power

Outlander,
    That is along the lines I was thinking. Thanks for the input.

Paul