Coil for Satoh 650G

/ Coil for Satoh 650G #1  

gregj783

Tractor
Satoh 650G
Anybody know what a suitable replacement coil would be for a Satoh 650G? The iginition system has had no modifications.

/ Coil for Satoh 650G
I'm finding two types of "universal" coils at Tractor Supply Co. One is for 12V tractors with external resistance and one is for tractors without external resistance.

Does anyone know if the Satoh 650G (gas) has external resistance? Or if either of these coils would work? If I used the wrong one would anything get damaged?

I looked at the wiring diagram in my manual and also traced out the wiring on the tractor and couldn't find anything that looked like an external resistor but I really am not that up on ignition systems so I might have missed it. The ignition system on my Satoh appears to be completey stock - I don't think it has been modified in any way.

/ Coil for Satoh 650G #3  
I believe that they use an external resistor.

/ Coil for Satoh 650G #4  
I got one from Bill at Valley, was about same price as local, and the right one.

/ Coil for Satoh 650G
Well, before I saw your two posts I picked up a Universal coil at TSC that was designed for 12V tractors with no external resistance. The tractor fired right up and seemed to run fine though I couldn't test it under any load because I'm working on the seat right now and it would be a bit uncomfortable with the seat off.

I figured that I should start with this coil because I figured the other one designed for an external coil would provide a very hot spark and wear out the points quickly if my tractor didn't have an external resistor (and I certainly couldn't find one).

At least that's my primitive understanding of the ignition system. I guess if I find that it is hard to start in cold weather or with a low battery then I might have to reconsider whether I have the right coil. But with all the cranking I did before I figured out the old coil was bad I think the battery was pretty low when I tested the new coil.

/ Coil for Satoh 650G #6  
Mine starts very easy, it's cold blooded though. I think you will find you'll go through points fast anyway. Good Luck.