Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Re: Help with glo plugs! MT372

Try putting the 12volt supply on the output side of the indicator . If that does'nt work put the 12volt supply directly to the 1st glo plug . If that works it's in between the two . It does'nt have a glo plug controler does it ?
    Last edited by Eagleview; 04-04-2008 at 11:01 PM.

I know that battery looks new but is it good at least 12.5 volts? Measure it at the battery and then measure it at the poles on the switch. Have you pulled the glow plugs out and actually looked at them while you did the jumper thing from the battery? Don't forget to ground them while you do this and clean the terminals good. Did you measure the resistance on the glow plugs? If it shows no resistance then it is bad. Same with the indicator.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800, 15 hp 372 Mitsubishi

Bill,
    A glow plug is just like a spark plug it is a simple resistor. Ohm it out or pull one or both and put 12v to the top and ground the base and see if it heats up.

I removed the glow plugs and put 12v from the battery directly on the top post while grounding it on the treads and the glow plug heated/smoked so I assume it was working.

I put my old swith back on and now I have 12v on the bat terminal of the switch but the glow indicator wire will not heat up. It did one time somehow so I put the switch back in the dash and the indicator back in the dash and tried it again and nothing. Even if I take 12v directly to the indicator it will not heat up but the jumper wire I used to one side of the indicator post got really hot! but the indicator still did not glow. Do you have to have 12v on both sides of the indicator for it to work?

This is really bothering me know and I am about ready to remove the entire preheat wires from the switch and wire a pushbutton switch or something for preheat. If only I could get the indicator wire to heat constantly.

Battery is 12.5 volts and I have not checked the resistance on the glow plugs as the first one in line worked when hooked directly up.

Also, If I leave the battery hooked up like normal and come back out the next day the battery is dead like it has a current draw.

Still lost.

Bill

Tractor

Sounds like your glow plugs are good. Check to see if the indicator wire is broken. That indicator wire is a resistor also, just like a light bulb.
    You have a battery drain and need to find that, re-check your wiring.
    Try this take a 12v test light or just any way to make a 12v bulb light and pull your positive lead on the battery and put the light in series with the battery and the pos battery cable and see if it lights up, if so you really do have a drain.

With the light glowing start pulling wires off your key switch to see which circuit the draw is on. This shouldn't take long since there ain't much to the 372.

Good idea Wushaw! I allmost forgot about the light idea. And you are right there isn't much to the 372 wiring. Does this thing have all the lights including the runners on the fenders?

The glow wire indicator is in good shape. If I take a jumper directly from the battery to the input side of the indicator that jumper wire gets HOT! but the indicator does not glow. Maybe my battery is no good even though it is new. I will do the current draw thing and let you know what I find. I do have a current draw somewhere. I am also going to try another battery.

I have to remove the fuel tank as there is a leak somewhere in the seam on the bottom causing a slight dripping that I did not notice before .

Bill

Tractor

I have never seen my glow wire turn red even after 10sec on. CHeck the electrolite level in your battery after you charge it overnight on a trickle charger.
    The little test guages are cheap, easy to operate and available at any auto parts store.

You may have to take your tank to a radiator shop to get a good fix on it. It probably sat with water in it for many years.

There is not a whole lot in the system that can cause a drain on the your 372 since it only has headlights, alternator/regulator, glow plugs and the three indicator lights for oil, charge and over temp.
    If the headlights were on they would be lit and the same goes for the indicator lights so that leaves the alternator/regulator. You still need to trace it out to which circuit it is on though.

Shags-72, he doesn't have tail light lights so it's even easier to trace down.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by BTackett
    The glow wire indicator is in good shape. If I take a jumper directly from the battery to the input side of the indicator that jumper wire gets HOT! but the indicator does not glow. Maybe my battery is no good even though it is new. I will do the current draw thing and let you know what I find. I do have a current draw somewhere. I am also going to try another battery.

I have to remove the fuel tank as there is a leak somewhere in the seam on the bottom causing a slight dripping that I did not notice before .

Bill
    You will find your jumper wire is rated a lot less than the tractor supply wire and certainly less than the indicator that's why it's getting hot .

Thanks for everyone's reply. I have been really busy around the house and buying / selling trucks. I will try to get to this in the next week or so and let everyone know what I found. Almanac said to plant this coming weekend and we are going to try and get the garden out.

Bill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast