Help with glo plugs! MT372

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372 #1  

BTackett

Gold Member
I am in the process of semi-restoring a Mitsubishi MT372 ( as you probably have seen pics here ) and before removing the wiring harness the glow plugs were working fine. I installed a new ignition switch ( 5 prong w/preheat Kubota switch ) and it would turn over but not glow plug. So, I put the old switch back on that worked before ( reason I replaced was that it was sticking in the run position, preheat worked fine ) and now it turns over but no preheat. What could be wrong? I just removed one wire on the glow plug itself and removed the entire harness. Now preheat will not work.

Any ideas?

I checked my wiring diagram and it shows a 4 prong switch but it was wired 5 prong previously and worked fine.

How exactly do glow plugs work and how can you check them at the switch with meter?

What actually causes the dash indicator to glow when preheating?

thanks,
Bill

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372 #2  
They are just like a wire with some resistance to cause them to heat up and help ignite the combustion charge. The indicator in the dash should be hooked up inline with the glow plugs off of the heat side of the ignition switch. It is kinda like another glow plug so it just heats up also. My wiring diagram shows a 5 prong switch with the g1 and g2 poles going to the glow plug indicator poles. Gi to the input side and G2 to the output side of the indicator. The rest hook up as shown on the back of the switch I.E. st black w/yellow wire, bat black w/ white wire, acc yellow wire. You can with a meter and it should be in ohms reading and 1-1.2 ohms. Now this is from my own mt372 owners manual and it differs from the maintenance manual on the site but I know this is a real manual and the right one because it is my hands and it is a real mitsubishi manual.You can also take them out and hook them up to a battery and see if they glow red within 25seconds. Also check the glow plug indicator in the dash it says that it is .9-1.1ohms or can check with a battery also. These are 10-10.5 volt plugs so don't leave them on the 12 volts for v much longer than the 25-30 seconds. This all came out of the service manual which I got for free in digital format from site which you will have to join to get access to the files.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mitsubishi_Sato_Tractors/files/MT372 SHOP MANUAL/

Ps this site kept loggin me off so sorry if I double posted or anything like that.

Last edited:
   / Help with glo plugs! MT372 #3  
I just looked at the pretty much finished pics. That thing is awesome! But did you make sure that the paint was off of the plugs? I couldn't tell from the pics. It is beautiful man.

What was the number on the fan belt? I just changed all the fluids and my belt was toast.

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372 #4  
A glow plug circuit is basically all plugs (and indicator) wired in parallel.
(in parallel if one burns the others still glow).

A simple test is to use an ohm meter from the glow plug terminal to ground.
Each plug will read LOW ohms if OK (shags says 1.2 ohms).
Remember to disconnect the lead before taking a reading otherwise you will be reading all the plugs as they are in parallel!

You can (if desired) simply use a momentary push switch that you depress for whatever time you want to get the plugs to glow.
With the indicator you can merely hold the the switch depressed until it glows which therefore indicates the plugs are glowing as well.

When real cold (like -25c I need to hold mine for + 1 minit)

If one was to use this push button approach, one needs to find a high amp switch as a mere 'doorbell switch' would simply melt, that or use a relay.

Frankly at the prices wanted for origional type switches I'd opt for the manual approach for the glow plug activation as one would only need a simple 'on off' key switch (from any auto part) for all the other functions.

I ran a 6.2 GMC for almost 8 years with a push switch mod primarily due to the fact that GM wanted about $150. for their relay.
Never burned a glow plug (and GM has no indicator either). I'd simply time the application, eg 1000, 1001, 1002 etc for about 6 seconds (GM used FAST plugs vs MIT are slow plugs.
If 6 secs was inadaquate I'd re time to ,say, 8 or 10 secs on the next start attempt.

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372 #5  
Hello, I have an older MT372D too. My glow plugs didn't work and I figured that the little cup with the heater indictor for the dash was my problem. That little wire burned out. Napa has them or you can just by-pass it with a jumper wire... 10 seconds of heat and mine normally starts fine.

Good luck!

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372
Thanks for the info. I checked last night and I only have about 3.2v on the battery wire on the switch. Hhmm. The bat wire goes straight to the solenoid on the starter and then jumps off to the alternator output right? I checked the inline fuse and I do not have 12v either.

I then did a continuety(sp??) check from the bat wire on the back of the switch to the hookup on the soleniod and it is contant so there is no breaks in the wire. Geez, this thing is driving me crazy.

The voltage regulator should not have any affect on static current should it? Only when the alt is running and putting the 12+ volts into the system?

If I make a jumper from battery to the back of the switch the glo plugs should then work on the preheat right? I have not done that yet but it looks like that is next. I also do not have 12v to the headlights and ran a seperate wire through a 15amp fuse the new headlight switch to get them working. I hate messing with old wiring harnesses. I should just make a new one.

The glow indicator is in good shape and not burned up. It worked before removing the harness.

Shags, I have the belt number at home. It is the same belt used on a 88 buick skylark #15340 I think. I will look tonight and PM you.

Bill

Shags, I sent you a PM. But for anyone else the belt is a Dayco 15340.

thanks.
Bill

It has a wire jumper from glow plug to glow plug and it is not grounded. I jumped a 12v wire from battery directly to input side of the glow indicator and it did nothing.

I am lost now.

Here is a picture of the glow plugs. I also ran a jumper from the battery to the Bat post on the switch and nothing.

tractor033108009.jpg