HIGH/LOW SHIFT LEVER ON MIT. D2500

/ HIGH/LOW SHIFT LEVER ON MIT. D2500 #1  

AUSTIN WESTERN

Tractor
FORD 861, MITSUBISHI D2500, FORD 8N, FORD 9N,
JUST BOUGHT THIS LITTLE TRACTOR AND IT RUNS FINE BUT THE TRANS. IS STUCK IN LOW RANGE BECAUSE THE HIGH/LOW LEVER SEEMS 2B DISCONNECTED INSIDE THE CASE. NO RESISTANCE AT ALL. THE DIAGRAM I HAVE IS POOR BUT IT SEEMS TO INDICATE A ROD CONNECTED TO THE SHIFT LEVER AND THAT ROD RUNS TO THE REAR OF THE TRANSMISSION CASE. I GUESS IT SLIDES THE HI/LO GEAR ASSEMBLY BACK AND FORTH. THAT ROD MAY BE DISCONNECTED. ANYONE EVER TAKE THE COVER OFF ONE OF THESE TRANSMISSIONS AND IS THERE A "ROD" IN THERE LIKE I THINK?
THANKS.

/ HIGH/LOW SHIFT LEVER ON MIT. D2500 #2  
On most manual transmissions the lever will attach to the rod with a set screw.
The rod will then enter the case and a 'finger' will fit a slot to slide the forks backwards or forewards to do its job.

First verify that the lever is moving the shaft. (set screw)
If not then place everything in neutral and pull the cover.

Once open, you may possibly also find the shaft free in the fork that moves the hi/low gearing.(again this should be a fork setup with a set screw to lock fork on the shaft.)

From your description, I suspect that this could cure your problem.

Worst synario could be broken or bent fork, which I doubt.

Do be careful that everything is in neutral before replacing the cover and since you were permanantly in low then adjust the lever setting accordingly.

Good luck!

/ HIGH/LOW SHIFT LEVER ON MIT. D2500 #3  
First, Welcome. :) Second, no need to yell (ALL CAPS) :rolleyes: Third, you'll probably need to pull the cover and see what's not moving that should be. Just remember to take a picture or make a drawing before you start moving things around.

/ HIGH/LOW SHIFT LEVER ON MIT. D2500 #4  
Austin,
I had the exact same problem on my S-470 Buck. It has two bolts holding the shifter on the side of the torque tube. I took those out and found that a roll pin was missing from either the shifter or the piece it engages. Put in a new roll pin and put the shifter back on with two bolts. Took all of about 5 minutes. Hope you are that lucky. Let us know how it goes.

/ HIGH/LOW SHIFT LEVER ON MIT. D2500
Thanks guys for the response. Sorry about all caps, it is easier for me to see and proof read. Hmmm, someone else said that all caps indicates I am yelling. I am not, not yet anyway. I just hope my American size hands will fit into that Japanese size opening. About the trans. though, the outside part of the lever still has the roll or tension pin in place and the shaft moves when you move the lever. This weekend I'll pull the cover and see what is wrong inside. Thanks for telling me about neutral too! I did not know it made a difference. A manual for the tractor is on the agenda. I found a few places that have them for sale, I just need a few days to overcome the price shock; $45.00-$95.00. From what you all suggest, there is a fork/set screw setup on the rod assembly that probably shook loose for some reason and the possibility of it being broken is rather slim. GOOD! I hope that is what I find. If not, I have a welding machine. Thanks again for the quick response. Be seeing you guys.

/ HIGH/LOW SHIFT LEVER ON MIT. D2500 #6  
I had the same thing happen to me last year. On mine, there was a roll pin that held the handle to the shaft and as was mentioned , I would check that first. If that isn't the problem it is probably the mechanism that slides the range gear. That was my problem.
Your tractor may be completely different but on mine the range lever is attached to a shaft that went through the side of the trans case. The end of the shaft has a pin (instead of a fork) that engaged the range gear and slid it back and forth. The pin had snapped off. I was able to drain the oil and use a telescoping magnet to retrieve it from the bottom of the trans and weld it back on.
I am not sure if yours is set up similarly but if so you can access everything by taking the top of the trans case off, it is a tight fit but doable. The hardest part was figuring out how that dog-legged shaft came out of the trans...it takes a little finesse and turning it in all directions to figure out just how it comes out and goes back in, but if it is set up like mine you'll figure it out. There is a detent ball and spring under the cover on the side of the case where the shaft goes through, be careful not to lose them when you take it apart. That cover was held on by a couple of bolts and has to be removed in order to get the shaft out...it took quite a bit of prying to loosen it enough to slide it out of the side of the case.

Don't know if this helps but the good news is that even if yours is completely different, it is most likely as easy of a fix and accessible by pulling the top of the trans case off.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

/ HIGH/LOW SHIFT LEVER ON MIT. D2500
Thanks for the info Darryl. I hope it is a simple fix. The lever on my tractor HAD a spring and ball that held in either high or low, but that was missing when I bought it. I have an old axle bearing off my four wheeler and it looks like the balls in it are about the right size. I'll dig up a spring at the hardware store. If the piece in the trans. is broken, I can probably weld it like you did, or braze it. It's been awhile since I used it, but I may have to fire up my forge and make a piece. Thanks again for the detailed info. I know what to look for now.