Voltage Regulator Issues on 650G

/ Voltage Regulator Issues on 650G #1  

Bl8tant

Bronze Member
Tractor
Satoh S-650G
S-650G decided to cook the battery by charging at 17-18 volts (verified by voltmeter). I didn't realize their was a problem until I shut the tractor off and heard the battery bubbling (it had actually boiled out over half the fluid in one day). I immediately figured faulty regulator, and thanks to helpful info from someone on here I ran to the local AutoZone and picked up a regulator for a 1972 Ford Courier. As I went to install the new one, I discovered a broken wire in the connector on the tractor. Fixed that and "wiggled" the connector on the alternator (bad idea it practically turned to powder). Installed the new regulator, checked votage at battery with voltmeter.....no chargie. Wiggle wires at alternator...charging great (did away with connector and used spade terminals). Re-start to test and then go to shut off tractor and it won't quit running unless I unplug the new regulator. Just for kicks I put the old regulator back in and what do you know.....tractor shuts off fine, charges around 13.4 volts which is a little weak). Put new regulator on...charges around 13.9 volts, but tractor will not shut off...AAAARRRGG.

I'd really like to install the new regulator as it charges at a better voltage and it's non-returnable. Any suggestions as to what's going on here? Do I need a jumper wire on something? Unhook something? I am at a loss.

/ Voltage Regulator Issues on 650G #2  
tough problem.i am not so sure but the regulator u bought may be designed to work with a guage and not a light indicator if you take out the bulb it may work.however you will have no indicator you will have to use meter to check charging.

/ Voltage Regulator Issues on 650G
Great suggestion. I'll give it a try. Looking at the wiring diagram for the tractor, I think it does show that the voltage regulator indicator light is part of the circuit that supplies power to the coil. Maybe the new regulator is wired in such a way that it will not interrupt current to the coil. Hopefully your suggestion will be a good work-around. Thanks for the help.

/ Voltage Regulator Issues on 650G #4  
did not think you would want to modify the wiring for the new regulator.it may involve putting a diode to block the voltage going to the coil.