Tractor Sizing frost plug size

/ frost plug size #1  

mit

Gold Member
i have a mitsu d1850d. was wondering if anyone knows the size of the frost plug heater .i would like to have one installed before it gets too cold.

/ frost plug size #2  
If the engine is a K3C the frost plug is 45mm and is located above the oil filter.

I needed to change mine last Jan (brrr) and they supplied me with 200 watts.
Not enough heat!
Be sure to get at least 500 watts.
I am about to change mine over to the higher wattage shortly as with the 200 watt I needed to leave heat on all nite and then some.
The previous 500 (maybe 600) allowed me a mere 1 hour preheat which was essential here in Quebec, Canada.
Handy as I would just flip the switch from inside the house on my dedicated circuit.

The old one just plain died internally!

Another lesson learned--GFI's click off at merest hint of snow on or near the heater plug in. (so no GFI on my switched heater outlet)

/ frost plug size
it s a model k4d engine. it is difficult to to start in the cold.below 50 degrees f it does not want to go.i want to b able to start it to move snow if there is a lot.

/ frost plug size
also where would normally mount the frost plug heater on this model.

/ frost plug size #5  
I don't think location is all that important, ie any frost plug that is easily accesible, as I said it was just over the oil filter on mine. The heater will heat the coolant which in turn heats up the entire engine block

Have a look around the engine block for other frost plugs that might be easier to access and simply measure the diameter of the hole and order accordingly.
The auto parts should be able to provide just about any size heater based on the hole diameter.
In my case they actually had a referance to the Mitsu K3 engine (and possibly your K4 as well)

I could not find another accessible location (well easier than behind the filter).

Do for sure go for the higher wattage unit that you can get.

Good luck!

/ frost plug size #6  
Another lesson learned--GFI's click off at merest hint of snow on or near the heater plug in. (so no GFI on my switched heater outlet)

Seems I also have had that experience. It can be rather aggravating if the heater is on a timer.:D:eek:

/ frost plug size
found 2 frost plugs by the oil filter on this engine. they both look the same. the one closest to the oil filter looks more accessible.it measured 45mm.which is exactly 1 and 3/4 inches.now how to take out this plug.i saw heaters online 600w with 1-3/4 inches. for about 22 dollars.

/ frost plug size #8  
Easy!
You pound a screwdriver into the frost plug and simply pry it out.
Clean and debur the edge of the hole before mounting the frost plug and oil the o-ring before inserting the heater.
Really a simple operation.

LOL I did it last winter at -30deg.

Drain and save your antifreeze before remouving the plug!
(or maybe this is the time to renew it!) capacity=5L (5Qts)

/ frost plug size
thanks guys i ordered the heater from :Amazon.com: kat 11622
i will tell you of the install when it arrives.

/ frost plug size
the install went ok.removing the old frost plug near the oil filter was quite a job.i did not remove the oil filter.i drilled a hole in the center of the frost plug then used screw drivers and pry bars to extract the frost plug.after the antifreeze stop flowing out.i took wet sandpaperand sanded the hole.when it was nice and bright i greased the frost plug heater and pushed into the hole.it went in quite easy.then i tighten the screw with a allen wrench.i filled back the antifreeze started the tractor and found no leaks.tried the heater todaywhen it was 40 degrees and it heated up the engine in about 15 -20 minutes.i felt the top hose warm. starting was easy.