manual trans / no reverse

/ manual trans / no reverse #1  

Big Hammer

Bronze Member
Hoping I'm posting in the right place here...

I recently bought a Satoh Buck; (manual trans), been working fine... until I added fluid to the transmission. It looked VERY low.

This may be a coincidence, not sure. I knew that the trans uses hydrolic fluid, as it has a FEL. I checked the level of fluid - too low. I added some #46hydrolic fluid (not too much) Went back to mowing, everything was going fine, no symptoms at all until it simply would not engage into reverse. Forward gears all working fine. Feels like the gears are not quite 'meshing' properly when I try for reverse.

Did I use the wrong fluid? (only operated for 1/2 hr before the failure, after adding fluid)

Today I looked at the different lubricants at the farm store. They had something called 'universal tractor flluid' or something like that. Is that what I should have used? (rather than the #46 hydrolic fluid)

If so, did I do damage to the trans? Should I drain all of the fluid back out and start over??

Thanks if you can help.

What should I do ? :confused:

Mark

/ manual trans / no reverse #2  
Although the grinding into reverse could be a coincidence. I think the wrong fluid could cause a problem..if so the fix would be fairly easy ..replace with the correct fluid.

Hope you find an owners manual.

/ manual trans / no reverse #3  
aw 46 tractor hydralic oil. jd type 303 special porpose.universal tractor fluid.these are all recommended for the hydralic reservoir.hydralic/transmission reservoir that is not divided.the s650g,s670 ,and st2500 have seperate reservoirs.the problem u mentioned may not be related to the topping up of the fluid.cause you used a recommended fluid.you may have to check the shifting forks to see if they are bent or worn.i think that you just have some mechanical failure in there due to normal wear n tear.

/ manual trans / no reverse #4  
go to this site Valley Power click on faq. you will have a lot of questions answered.

/ manual trans / no reverse
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Sounds to me more like a shifting fork issue. (hope so) Anyway, will report bacak here when I find / fix the problem.

Again, thanks for the responses!

MArk

Update...

Still no reverse yet. but I would like to make a little clarification on my problem. Earlier I stated that I added fluid,... but not too much. Now I am wondering if I really did add too much.

After removing the gearshift & mounting plate, I can look right down into the gearbox. The fluid is only an inch or so from the top. ( I added about a gallon of fluid)

Could the problem simply be too much fluid?

Whadd'ya think?

thanks

Mark

/ manual trans / no reverse #7  
There is a fill level plug on the left side of the transmission/rear end case. You can find a diagram by going to Valley Power and click on parts, then scroll down to fill plug under S-470. If you remove that plug and oil runs out, it is overfilled. Let it run out. I doubt if overfilling has anything to do with no reverse. You will have to take the top off and figure that out.

...Thought I should post here what the problem turned out to be...

I got a mechanic to look at it. He took the top off the transmission to get a look inside, after having drained the oil. He found the problem in a matter of minutes. The reverse gear had slipped on the shaft due to a retainer that came off. He pushed the gear back into position, installed the clip, put new oil in, installed top to trans. Done! Great job Dan (from Metro New Holland)

MArk