Differential Lock

/ Differential Lock #1  

dadzilla

Tractor
Satoh Beaver
The differential lock on my S370D does not work. When you step on the lever it has very little travel and you feel nothing engaging through the lever. It was like this when I bought it so I don't know what it should feel like. Does anyone have any experience with this part of the rear axle? How hard is it to get into this area? What could the problem be? I have service and parts manuals, but they are not real clear on this area.

Attachments

• 51-171322-Beaver1.jpg
    51-171322-Beaver1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 353
   / Differential Lock #2  
Have you tried to engaged the diff lock while the tractor is rolling?

/ Differential Lock
I was told by the previous owner that it didn't work when he sold it to me. I have tried it while runnung tractor.

/ Differential Lock #4  
I have a Mitsu. d1550 and mine will only engage if one wheel is turning more than the other. then the lever moves very little.try turning in a tight circle with pressure on the pedal.

/ Differential Lock #5  
Mine was like that when I bought it . I sprayed it down with penetrating oil a lot and lightly tapped it with a hammer and got it to free up . Had to work it by hand quite a bit . I now depress it every time I use the tractor just to keep it free . If you wash your tractor off with a garden hose when you get done useing it , you need to lubricate all moving parts or they will rust . I learned this the hard way . A little oil on the shafts every other time you use it will make a huge difference. I also had my 4X4 lever seize up and it was just extreemly rusted when I took it apart . I use a LOT of "never seize" lubricant !

/ Differential Lock #6  
Mine has done the exact same thing. If I push it down it only travels about maybe 3/4" and then stays there. Been like that since I purchased the tractor. I always thought something was broke internally so I never tried to oil the heck out of it.

Is the lever supposed to spring back up when pressure is not applied? When I step down on mine in the past I have to use my hand to pull it back up. I'm not sure if it even engaged.

Is there a correct way of engaging this? For example should the tractor by stopped and in neutral or is it alright to kick it in while rolling along?

Shawn

/ Differential Lock #7  
You should engage it while the tires are turning . You should only use it when traveling straight not turning . Once the wheels stop spinning and the tractor goes OK on it's own , it will disengage by itself . I'm not sure exactly how it works . You can test to see if it is engaged by pushing down on the pedal while the tire is spinning , other tire should grab , and than pedal should return on it's own once tire spin has stopped . If you engage it while turning it puts a lot of stress on the internal gears and can cause breakage .You can use it if tires are slipping while turning for traction but don't hold the pedal down with your foot . Just oil it real well and work it by hand untill it is free . It is very useful on slippery ground or uneven ground . The pedal doesn't travel very far , maybe 3/4" . If you look close , I think the pedal actually moves a seperate lever wich goes into the trans/diff. That is where it needs lubed extra good.

/ Differential Lock #8  
I drove mine for years believing it did not work. Finally tried it while mving real I kicked it with my heal a few times and I'll be darned if it didn't engage! It was like getting a new gear. And mine disengages when you stop too!