Satoh 650g what degree should timing be set to?

/ Satoh 650g what degree should timing be set to? #1  

Boo McAfee

Tractor
Satoh Bison 650g
Satoh 650g Bison Restore Questions

Sorry guys just to jump in as a Newbie Satoh 650g owner, been lurking here and gaining info for some time, But now needing to know after new plugs, wires, points. condenser, rotor, cap, carb kit etc....what should the timing be set at and what rpm.....what degree @ what rpm as a starting place.....?

Satoh 650g Bison.......

Please! :)

Thanks in 'advance', all pun intended...;)

Boo

Last edited:
   / Satoh 650g what degree should timing be set to? #3  
I had one a while back, but I don,t remember the settings . Do yourself a favor and get a manual. It's a lot more than an operator's manual. It will give you alot of tech. info. Search the satoh forums and you will find posts that will give mitsubishi parts no.'s for the Satoh. Pts. plugs carb parts etc. The're a lot cheaper than Satoh parts.

/ Satoh 650g what degree should timing be set to? #4  
do not have a manual for this tractor.gas engines are nominally set at 10 degrees at 800 rpm.this should get you close to the speck when you find it.

/ Satoh 650g what degree should timing be set to?
yea, we went through this baby here's a pic at
http://www.drumofarm.com/drumofarm photos/Satoh-tractor.jpg

new plugs, wires, points, filters, condenser, carb kit, clean fuel tank, sea foam, over $300.00 easy and still wasn't right, just would not throttle up 'quickly' like the accelerator pump was not working.

THEN I spoke with Leonard Sheaffer @ Town and Country tractor and he gave me some settings to shoot for. We advanced the timing app. 7 degrees or 2 degrees passed second mark idling at 750 rpms (so yea close to your 10 at 800 rpm, it was really retarded) and PRESTO!

WOW! I don't want to jinx it by celebrating too soon, but man she's really purring sweet for the moment! And throttling up nicely! :)

I'll post some video soon. But thanks to Bill at Valley Power and Leonard Sheaffer at Town & Country Tractors, both awesome! And oh all the guys here on the forum......:)

Hey Guys, what do you recommend for oil in the 650g governor? If I'm reading the manual correctly it says 40w. Anyone have any suggestions in changing the 650g governor oil and refilling ? I'm not real sure about the drain plug or fill plug yet........

Any advice is much appreciated.....

/ Satoh 650g what degree should timing be set to? #7  
a friend of mine has an old satoh that needed a new diesel motor . it looked like too good to class as junk so we put in a new kohler 28 horse in ,that was 5 years ago & it runs like new. it is not hard to make this coversion . if any one is interestedi would be glad to chat. d sizer..

Satoh 650g Bison Restore Questions

a friend of mine has an old satoh that needed a new diesel motor . it looked like too good to class as junk so we put in a new kohler 28 horse in ,that was 5 years ago & it runs like new. it is not hard to make this coversion . if any one is interestedi would be glad to chat. d sizer..

What size and year Satoh was it? The new motor was it gas or diesel?

Last edited:
   / Satoh 650g what degree should timing be set to? #9  
The timing for the Mazda 4 cylinder in the Satoh Bison 650G is 16 degrees BTDC, the gap on the points is .010.......I hope this helps.

/ Satoh 650g what degree should timing be set to? #10  
Hey Guys, what do you recommend for oil in the 650g governor? If I'm reading the manual correctly it says 40w. Anyone have any suggestions in changing the 650g governor oil and refilling ? I'm not real sure about the drain plug or fill plug yet........

Any advice is much appreciated.....

Book says to use the same oil as engine. Replace every 100 hrs. Fill quantity spec at 40cc. I use a syringe for mine and it takes 50ml. Image will locate fill and drain for you.Click on it to enlarge. governor.jpg