D3250FD Questions

/ D3250FD Questions #1  

rlrobinhood

Tractor
Kubota L4200
Hi all,

I am contemplating buying a D3250FD Mitsubishi Tractor that is a 4x4. I know very little about tractors, but need something to run a 5' brush hog and cultivate between windrows of trees.

The unit's hour meter says 90-hours, but the owner says it doesn't work. He beleives there are a couple hundred hours. I tend to beleive him as all the engine/gear boxes have a very good grey paint job. The exterior blue is sun faded, though. In addition, all the stickers are there too that say "high, medium, low" etc. No oil leaks or anything. It is a very clean tractor. He claims he is the second owner and first bought it brand new. Does all this sound reasonable?

Like I said, everything looks very clean. There is one lever that is missing. He said it is the lever that makes the transmission go into low, medium, and high. The lever's shaft is sticking out from the left side, under the seat. The shaft is perfectly round. Is this what this shaft does? How hard is it to find another, and lastly, how do you attach the lever? It seems that with a round shaft and no key-way or threads, it would work very well?

This tractor also has a new loader and box scraper. It has a used post hole digger and what looks to be a very used rototiller. What would be a good ballpark offer on something like this? I just don't know what a fair deal is.

Also, how hard is it to get parts for these? I will use the tractor just a little. Like I said, mowing some pastures, cultivating windrows, moving some snow, etc. Or, would I be better off finding something US made like Deere or Case?

Thanks a million and happy new year.

/ D3250FD Questions #2  
A lot of your questions I just can't answer but hope I can help. I would approach this tractor with a certain level of concern since it sounds like it may be a Vietnam rebuilt tractor. Mitsubishis are great tractors but it sounds as if this tractor might be one to steer away from based on what you have been told. There are a lot of these tractors with similar owner history stories being sold currently. They will show very low hours, very nice paint and a dead givaway is usually the end loader. If it has a VN, Nuco or Bulldog brand, it is almost certainly what is referred to as a "Vietnam rebuild" tractor. These tractors are often pieced together in bone yards then repainted and given new hour meters. They have a notorious reputation for being unreliable. A lot of dealers and individuals reselling these tractors either don't know better or just flat out lie about these tractor's orign. For instance, this tractor was built between 1979-1981, how many 30 yr old tractors have 150-200hrs on them and look almost new? This tractor is also a grey market (not produced for sale in the U.S.) model. Do you think the "original owner" bought this tractor in Japan in 1980 and shipped it over here, then kept it in immaculate condition for 3 decades? Possible but very unlikely. There is a lot of information available on the net about "Vietnam rebuilt tractors", just Google it and decide for yourself. I do not persoanlly know of anyone reconditioning Mitsubishi tractors here in the U.S. and any of them being sold as "factory rebuilt, refurbished or reconditioned" are almost certainly Vietnam tractors and are a real gamble. I will not say that it's impossible to get a good one but the likelyhood of getting a bad one is much higher.

/ D3250FD Questions
Thanks guys for the info. Does anyone else know anything about these D3250 tractors? Is there a comparable US model or anything else that parts could be cross referenced to?

Any Mitsubishi junkyard/graveyards out there that parts could be pulled from?

Thanks again and happy new year!

/ D3250FD Questions #5  
I have a D3250 parts tractor.