Satoh 550G

/ Satoh 550G #1  

cooter15

My Satoh starting over heating and boiled over. Was told that head gasket was probably bad. Purchased new one and very carefully replaced. Started up and overheated within 10 minutes. Any help appreciated.

/ Satoh 550G #2  
thermostat stock? Did you check for cracks?

/ Satoh 550G #3  
I'm sure you checked some obvious stuff like...

defective water pump, plugged radiator core/engine passages, cracked head/block... etc... /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Satoh 550G
Checked radiator,pump looks AOK How do I check?
Quoted a price of 54.00 for thermostat Anything I can sub?
Where best place for parts?

/ Satoh 550G #5  
<font color=blue>...Quoted a price of 54.00 for thermostat...</font color=blue>

Ouch...! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I'd try using a caliper and measuring the old one or taking it down to a NAPA store and get it matched up.

Worse case run the unit without the 'stat and if it still overheats within 10 minutes... you can eliminate that rather quickly... /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Use a pressure pump (with a readable gauge you can observe) that clamps in place of the radiator cap, pump up to the specified pressure and check for leaks and also it should maintain this pressure for a period of time without loss...

With the unit running and the radiator cap off... after it's warmed up ~say your 10 minute time frame, grab the top radiator hose and squeeze it shut for a couple moments and release... you should be able to see a surge in the radiator and also feel the hose "pulsing" if the water pump is working properly... Again, if worse comes to worse, take the pump off and inspect its impeller and spin it with your fingers...

Sometimes you can take these parts down to a local NAPA or long time auto parts store in your neighborhood... an 'old timer may be able to look at the component and quickly ID it or get you in the ballpark.

You can check your exhaust for "water", check your oil pan for "water" in the oil, signs of a bad head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block, etc...

Some of the prices charged for these parts are an absolute Sin... It's beyond common logic why some prices are what they are... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Warped heads, bad head gaskets and failed water pumps have been a problem with the Mitsubishi engines in the past from what I've been told...

I wish ya the best... Good luck... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Satoh 550G #6  
I have your thermostat in stock for $12.95. Call 540-345-9650(Va) or email 540-345-9650. Check the radiator or better yet, take it to a local radiator shop and have it cleaned. These Japanese radiators have such small passages that they trap seed and dirt pretty easily and it doesn't always come loose with pressure washing. Should cost about $45. If you need a replacement, let me know. I have a used one which just came back from the shop. We stock new and used parts for your tractor. Bill - Valley Power Products